VW Forum banner

oil change intervals

6K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  rubbadubdub 
#1 ·
just curious, what are you guys' oil change recommendations for the 2.0? i used to change the oil in my 96 jetta every 3000 with castrol 10w-30 and a fram filter. didn't know if i should change this for my new car...

#2 ·
I know for the VR it says in the owners manual every 10k, I personally do every 5k. I'm pretty sure it's the same for the 2.0, but don't quote me on that. Check out your owners manual...

#5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by projectmk2:
every 3k or 3 months is always good to live by. The more often you do it, the longer ur car will last. and if you want it to last even longer and have some extra cash then synthetic oil would not be a bad investment. like previous posts, don't quote me, this is just my personal opinion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason MK4's are only every 5k or 10k is because since the engines are cut so much more precisely now there is a lot less friction, in turn the oil will last longer. I would suggest every 5k.

#7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:
but ofcoures more often wont hurt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you're talking about your wallet, in which case it will hurt

#10 ·
Let me dispell a few myths here.

The reason that VWoA has the oil changes listed for every 5,000 miles is because the federal government wishes to reduce oil usage as much as possible, so therefore they are requiring manufacturers to extend oil change intervals based on displacement of their engines. So instead of recommending an oil change every 3,000 miles with conventional oil, they make it 5,000 because of the small engine displacement.

As a Technician, I can't help but say its a really bad idea to change your oil every 10K...on my car, I run VW spec Castrol Syntec 5w-40 weight synthetic, and I change it and the filter every 5,000. And I have never had a problem. I personally would change a conventional oil motor every 3,000 miles, no later than 3,500.

Regular maintenance goes a long way...

[ October 05, 2003: Message edited by: GTIVR62801 ]

#12 ·
Here were my compression numbers after 1500 miles on the car (changed to dino oil at 150 miles), 2000 GTi VR6:

1: 219
2: 219
3: 218
4: 219
5: 219
6: 219

Yes, those numbers are right cause I checked them with another compression gauge because they sounded high. Must have got the luck of the draw on that motor!

Now I have 76,000. I changed my oil RELIGOUSLY every 3500. From 1500 miles on I did my own oil changes using Mobil One 15W-50 everytime/all seasons and VW oil filter. I changed my plugs to Bosch Platinum +4's at 35,000 and also went to a K&N panel filter. Changed plugs again at 74,000 this time using Bosch Platinum +2's. Did another compression check and came up with this:

1: 217
2: 217
3: 215
4: 217
5: 217
6: 217

And in no way do I drive my car easy but I also do not beat on it. This has worked for me and I do believe that the first 2000 miles of a motors life is its most important. Here is a link for an interesting theory of breaking in a motor, Break In. Just a personal account I thought I would share.

[ October 05, 2003: Message edited by: evilgti2000 ]

#13 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by evilgti2000:
Here were my compression numbers after 1500 miles on the car (changed to dino oil at 150 miles), 2000 GTi VR6:

1: 219
2: 219
3: 218
4: 219
5: 219
6: 219

Yes, those numbers are right cause I checked them with another compression gauge because they sounded high. Must have got the luck of the draw on that motor!

Now I have 76,000. I changed my oil RELIGOUSLY every 3500. From 1500 miles on I did my own oil changes using Mobil One 15W-50 everytime/all seasons and VW oil filter. I changed my plugs to Bosch Platinum +4's at 35,000 and also went to a K&N panel filter. Changed plugs again at 74,000 this time using Bosch Platinum +2's. Did another compression check and came up with this:

1: 217
2: 217
3: 215
4: 217
5: 217
6: 217

And in no way do I drive my car easy but I also do not beat on it. This has worked for me and I do believe that the first 2000 miles of a motors life is its most important. Here is a link for an interesting theory of breaking in a motor, Break In. Just a personal account I thought I would share.

[ October 05, 2003: Message edited by: evilgti2000 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And there I was driving my car nice and easy for the first 2k - maybe that's why it's in the shop now

#15 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
I agree that the first 3 months of your car are the most important ones as well.

Also I have BOSH Platinum +4
, nice one Andy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love those plugs, thanks Thomas

#17 ·
If you don't want to hit the dealer up for the VW spec Castrol Syntec 5w-40 like I use, I would use Mobil 1 European Car Formula, and thats 0W-40 weight. Don't let the 0 fool you...it pumps faster than any other oil when its cold, which minimizes start-up wear. And when everything is all warm inside, you get 40 weight protection. I was personally going to run that oil, but since I get the Castrol for free (saving every 1/2 quart from TDI oil changes!:-D) I run that, and the engine runs great.

Just to clear this up...TDI's take 4.5 quarts. Since they give me 5 quarts, I save the .5 that the engine doesn't need and eventually I have 6 quarts for mine...

#18 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
If you don't want to hit the dealer up for the VW spec Castrol Syntec 5w-40 like I use, I would use Mobil 1 European Car Formula, and thats 0W-40 weight. Don't let the 0 fool you...it pumps faster than any other oil when its cold, which minimizes start-up wear. And when everything is all warm inside, you get 40 weight protection. I was personally going to run that oil, but since I get the Castrol for free (saving every 1/2 quart from TDI oil changes!:-D) I run that, and the engine runs great.

Just to clear this up...TDI's take 4.5 quarts. Since they give me 5 quarts, I save the .5 that the engine doesn't need and eventually I have 6 quarts for mine...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You sir are an asset to the forum. Thanks for being here.

#21 ·
As for oil filter types - I like Fram the least. Why, I dunno. It has been pounded into my head since I was little to stay away from them. ~from my mom the mechanic 25+ years.

I personally use Wix filters. Pick them up at NAPA or other places. I have heard the good Purolator filters are ok as well.

I normally change oil every 3000-3500 miles. All of my parent's vehicles have gone 200,000 + with no major issues. They always changed it religously every 3000. And they aren't easy on stuff (ie pulling trailers and race cars).

#23 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2 point slow:
how about filter recommendations ? fram the best ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well imo i prefer bosch(which is who makes the stock filters). I was talking to one of my friends at a tuner shop and he said the past 4 engine swaps that he has done. they were using fram filters. these engines had low miles on them. so after hearing this i would rather play it on the safe side and go wiht something else. but then of course they were all honda swaps.

#26 ·
I have been running Mobil 1 0-40 every 5000 miles now since an hour after I brought the car back from the dealership. When I used the stock size oil filter, I used K&N's oil filters. Now I use a larger oversized filter from Napa that increases oil capacity to 5.3 quarts, from the stock filters capacity of 4.6 quarts. The factory filters bypass is set at 33psi, and the larger NAPA is set at 30, which IMHO is an inconsequential difference.

The NAPA Gold filter part # is 1333. Here is a pic I found of the difference between the filters. The stock one is on the far right, the larger NAPA one is on the far left.

I also have to credit tyrolkid for the great find on this filter upgrade.

Also, as far as plugs, I had problems with the NGK's, and the Beru's so I now use $1 a piece copper Autolite 3923's per the recommendation of Chris who used to be at AWE Tuning. Since I started using these, I have experienced absolutely no misfires whatsoever. Since they are a pure copper plug (better for turbo IMHO than platinum) they will foul much quicker, so I end up changing them more often, about every other oil change or so (about every 10,000 miles).

[ October 16, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.