VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone I'm doing the oil and spark plugs on my 04 gti 1.8t and as I took off the spark plugs out the first one and the third one came out with oil I know it can't be good so my question is what could it be thanks in advance

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
517 Posts
That would be oil leaking from a bad valve cover gasket. There are rubber grommets in the valve cover gasket set that seal the spark plug tubes when the valve cover is installed.

If your changing the valve cover gasket, you should also consider changing the cam adjuster seal as well. It is usually dried out and leaking oil after 10 years. You'll see it around the area of the coolant flange on the driver side of the cylinder head.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah valve cover gasket. Go OEM for sure on the gasket. Bought a cheaper one off eBay and now I smell oil sometimes.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If your still smelling oil after changing the valve cover gasket, did you also change the cam adjuster seal? If not, that could be where the oil is coming from.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah valve cover gasket. Go OEM for sure on the gasket. Bought a cheaper one off eBay and now I smell oil sometimes.
x2 when I had engine work done the guy bought a cheap gasket set and just about every gasket used, except for the head gasket for now, has failed and has been a bigger headache than should of had he spent a couple extra dollars on OEM gaskets

1 - 8 of 8 Posts