VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased 2000 VW Jetta. After driving 3000 miles, oil indicator on, no oil on dip stick when checked. Changed oil and found foam on oil cap and dip stick. Dealership said normal and could expect to use up to 1 qt oil per every 1000 miles and to change the oil every 5000 miles. Said foam due to low mileage. Is anyone familiar with this and is it normal?????

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I haven't had to add oil to my car yet - and unless you are using synthetic I would change the oil at least every 4000 just to keep things running well. I'll let someone else tackle the foam issue - I don't know about that.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
First off welcome!!
I'm assuming the foam is just what little oil was in there bubbling up. (guessing here) and let me guess, your Jetta has the 2.0 engine in it. From my understanding they eat up oil.
Jon

·
Registered
777 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
and let me guess, your Jetta has the 2.0 engine in it. From my understanding they eat up oil.
Jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

welcome!

i was going to say the same thing, alot of people have said that about the 2.0, so its normal, just keep some oil in the trunk, and top it off every 1k....

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Midnight VR6:
welcome!

i was going to say the same thing, alot of people have said that about the 2.0, so its normal, just keep some oil in the trunk, and top it off every 1k....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adding a qt every 1k is normal!!!! That doesn't seem right to me.....

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I am using Castrol Syntec and have yet to add 1 FLZ of oil to my car in between oil changes.

I would get it looked after professionaly, Suz.

Unless you are racing your car for that whole 1K Miles I don't see you car burning that much oil. Try to use a blend next time or slightly higher viscosity oil. It seems to be burning up due to excessive heat.

[ January 09, 2004: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was at my dealer recently and there was another jetta driver there with the same "problem", she was also told it was normal and to do the same thing you were told... it does sound a little odd, but maybe knowing it's happening to others will be a little comforting. Good luck with it and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by obsessedubber:
I was at my dealer recently and there was another jetta driver there with the same "problem", she was also told it was normal and to do the same thing you were told... it does sound a little odd, but maybe knowing it's happening to others will be a little comforting. Good luck with it and welcome to the forum!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just don't want to comfort someone in the event where something could be really wrong - it's best in the end to not ignore possible problems. But paranoia is in my blood
Maybe it is normal but that seems like a lot of oil to be burning (or leaking) under normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
777 Posts
ive just alwayse heard this about 2.0, mine dosnt burn any, but i doubt its really a full qt. if you think about it though 1qt every 5000 mines is an extremely small amount per mile..... maybe if you run that really thick high milage oil it will quit....who knows...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil level seems ok now. Altough it's only been 1500 miles since it was last changed. About moisture in the oil/oil cap, dealership said due to the low mileage and engine not broken in yet. It's a 2000 with 36500 mileage. Sound right?? THANKS for all the tips!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
well the 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles is recognized by VW. they say that it is normal so they will not do anything about it

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:
well the 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles is recognized by VW. they say that it is normal so they will not do anything about it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand how VW can say it's normal if it's not all cars - not everyone with a 2.0 is adding a qt of oil every 1000miles - at least a few people I know with 2.0s aren't. Maybe this is my VW pride coming through here - I can't stand to think that they would purposely make their engine run like this

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi Suz. You've really got to get yourself in the habit of checking your oil level more frequently(at least every 500mi). VWoA does have a "service action" for oil guzzling 2.0s, but its a royal PITA to get VW to cover it under warranty. I also agree with the previous posts about changing your oil more frequently. Squeezing 5000 miles out of regular(dino)motor oil is kinda' pushing the envelope. What weight motor oil are you using now? If your using 5w30(standard oil used by most VW dealers), you might want to change to a synthetic 5w40. I've found Shell Rotella T 5w40 Synthetic to be an ideal oil for the 2.0. Its fairly inexpensive and easy to obtain(about $13.00 per gallon @ Wal*Mart). My 2003 Golf 2.0 was burning Mobil 1 5w30(about .5qt every 2000mi) until I switched over to Rotella T. Now, my oil consumption is almost eliminated. Also, you CAN go 5000mi between oil changes on synthetic with a bit more confidence.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:
well the 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles is recognized by VW. they say that it is normal so they will not do anything about it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At GM they say the 1" gap in between your body panels on their Cavaliers is normal too. So I guess you're right.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Yeah, indeed they do say its normal. Would I tolerate that from a car that I drove? Hell no. Call up VW customer care and bitch until they replace your piston rings...the cause of the issue.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
i'm going to bring back this old post b/c i just realized a few things today....

I have a 2.0 with 33K miles and i changed my oil (with mobil 1 synthetic 0w40) at 29K. I just checked my oil today and it barely registered on the dipstick. I added about 3/4 of a quart and it is just barely below the rough part of the dipstick. So this fellow 2.0-er is experiencing similar problems with oil consumption as well.

Also, silvergolfcart, i also race motocross...just thought that was cool...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts