VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used a forum before, so please bear with me! Also, please save your hateraide for other forums...I already know my mistake (read the following)
So I bought an 03 Passat GLX V6 Auto, 91k bone stock, visual and driving inspection: No issues! Runs GREAT (no tranny issues, either), looks great NO LEAKS...so what's the problem you ask?
I went to change the plugs/wires and found OIL (A LOT, not just a little)inside of the actual plug hole (I'm sure there IS a mechanical term for this...) ONLY on the RIGHT (facing engine) front, cylinder. I pulled the wires on all 3, and ALL 3 have oil where my spark plugs live and the wires cover them. I have NOT driven nor started the vehicle since finding this.

HOW? WHY? WHERE is this oil coming from?? Any ideas or help would greatly be appreciated!!

Semper Fi!

·
Registered
322 Posts
My guess would be valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I was hoping it was something as simple as this...I say simple?? I'm a shade-tree mechanic...by far not a gear head or a grease monkey! As far as the tools involved, I have enough to get me by, the basics that is. Any special tools? How long would this take to even get to the gasket? Also, damage control...HOW am I to get that oil out of the 3 spark plug "holes"? Would there be major consequences if a little oil was left (little as in what I can't get out)

Thank you again!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
These oddly shaped valve covers have individual gaskets for each spark plug.

Don't overtighten the cover bolts. Make or buy a torque wrench and find the specs for these bolts.

With hardware store springs, known quantities of water as weights, a ruler and a calculator you can turn any wrench into a torque wrench.

You're welcome! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick Question

DIY-

While I'm R&R'ing the gaskets(I'm doing both sides)/plugs/wires/coil pack...I'm also going to change out the PCV components. ECS wants over $400 for their kit!! That's a little pricey! My question is...do I NEED to change EVERYTHING in the PCV kit...or could I get by with just a few of the links to it? just looking for some direction...I'm not opposed to spending the $$ on the kit IF everything needs to be changed. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks again!!

S/F
Ben

·
Registered
63 Posts
I only put in new parts if I'm looking to cure a symptom except for the timing belt/chain on interference engines, which I change at the recommended interval.
That and oil & filter changes once in a while. We only put 2000 mi/yr on our cars.

But I have access to two or three vehicles so downtime doesn't bother me much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Diy

I only put in new parts if I'm looking to cure a symptom except for the timing belt/chain on interference engines, which I change at the recommended interval.
That and oil & filter changes once in a while. We only put 2000 mi/yr on our cars.

But I have access to two or three vehicles so downtime doesn't bother me much.
During my research, I've read that the "possible" cause of the VCG leak could be due to the PCV components, even as far as adding a "vented" oil filler cap?? So I wont be a happy camper if I change out JUST the VCG's, for them to leak again due to the PCV system. Preventive maintenance, I guess you could call it.
Timing Belt/chain...help me out here, " interference engines"? I'm not sure what you're referring to here? It may be about time...has 91k miles on it and highly doubt it's been changed yet. Thank again for helping me out!!:K:

·
Registered
63 Posts
If the timing belt breaks on an interference engine while it's running, the valves will hit the tops of the pistons. On the plus side, these engines probably give a higher compression ratio.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts