VW Forum banner

oil leak, smell in cabin

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  vwGLI 
#1 ·
i have an oil leak but cant find the source
it can be smelled in the cabin when not on re circulation
i just replaced the valve gasket - was not that as expected.
there is no oil on the timing belt - so does that mean i can rule out the cam shaft and crank shaft seals?

there is oil coating on two hoses that seem to connect to the radiator. any ideas?

#5 ·
After closer inspection, its looking like the turbo return line is okay - but i have only seen what can be viewed from hood - braided steel like shiny and not covered with oil. Do I need to jack car and look at portion of line from underneath?

I am thinking it may indeed be the turbo, judging from the random spots at the front of engine (air intake), below the air intake, and over where the steering pump motor is too.

If it is the turbo, how bad would it be to buy a chinese version?

#7 ·
BE SURE it is the turbo. Mine blew and I replaced it. Pain in the fuckin arse. Dont get chinese, it will blow and destroy your car.

I went to xsboost turbochargers online and ordered a completely rebuilt turbo for I believe 500? They give you 75 bucks off, or a check for 75 if you give them your blown turbo in return.

But cross everything else off the list before you determine it to be the turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.