VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm trying to figure out what could be causing this oil leak on my GTi. Its on the left side of the engine(passenger side) under the timing belt. I was told it could be the valve cover gasket so I changed that and no luck still leaking towards the middle of the engine right under the timing belt cover. After doing some research, my next guess was the camshaft seals, but before I go and take it all apart to do this I would like some input from people who know what they are talking about. I will provide the picture I took. Thank you for your time.

Timing Belt cover is labeled and I circled the main point of the leak.
Thank you for any input you can provide me with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, I probably should have clarified that in the post. Valve cover gasket was changed.

EDIT:
I did include it in the post that I did change it come on man. Smh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a gasket under the timing belt, does anyone know? Or could the only possibilty be the camshaft seals?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay come on. Someone give me some knowledge here. On the left side of the engine under the timing belt are there any gaskets? It looks like it goes motor mount, oil leak (possible gasket im not sure i need some knowledge), then metal piece (part of timing belt). That's the order I can visibly see from bottom to top.

So my question is, lets say you're in your drivers seat(Steering wheel on left side) sitting forward. From this POV on the right side of the engine where the timing belt is located about halfway down oil is barely seeping out in the middle of what looks like two plates, is there a gasket somewhere in there or could it be coming from something else.

I have provided another picture. In the first picture you can see where the oil is coming from.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
just because you changed the valve cover gasket already doesnt mean its not leaking.
sounds like you arent really interested in doing much diag for yourself and just want to be spoon fed the answers to everything. pics are hard to decipher and you havent even taken the cover off to look behind it. smh. come on man.:roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts