VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a problem with my Jetta -88 and would be very pleasful if someone could give me advice.

Everything seems to be right with my Jetta's engine (1.3 bensin), oil pressure and so on. Somehow it anyway shows the oil pressure light and the starts yelling the warning noice each time after about 15 minutes drive. The temperature seems to be ok. I don't know if it matters, but this begun after last time I changed oils for it.

I have heard someone to say that this is some electrical problem with that aged Jettas...do anyboddy have experience of this kind of problem or any suggestions to do?

Thanks for all!

-Toni

·
Registered
349 Posts
first of all check the connections with the wires on the oil pressure sensors. there should be one on the right side of the head and one just above the oil cooler (right above the oil filter). they just look like a big nut with an electrical tab sticking out. check these connections. if the connections are all ok then my guess would be that one or both of these are bad. try getting new ones at an auto parts store or at a dealer. if that doesnt fix it, then it is most likely your oil pump. what weight oil did you use when you changed the oil? and what oil filter? if you dont use the recommended weight oil or the oem filter, the car doesn't like it because the oil wont flow as it is supposed to. check these things out and let me know what happens. good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks you bluemk2 for your answer.

I have alreary changed both oil sensors. The only thing it caused was that the oil pressure light begun to yell more often and sooner. I must still check the wires.

I have also thougth that maybe it's the oil bump, but some people have said that usually, if it is the oil pump that is broken, it will show up much sooner (than after about 15 minutes drive). Let's hope that it's not the oil bump (they are so expensive).

I changed fully syntethic 10W-50 oils (because of the winter in Finland, starts better) (I don't remember the filter, but this time I did not change the filter because I had changed it quite soon and it was one that was recommended).

-Toni

·
Registered
211 Posts
2 tips that might work cuz it also happened to me.1 change your oil and put a high milage oil in......2 get it flushed.When u take your oil cap off is the oil on the cap white?

[ April 23, 2003: Message edited by: xVEEDUBx ]

·
Registered
349 Posts
hmmmm That's kind of strange but i still tend to believe that it's the oil pump. I have and oil pressure guage in my car and when mine went out, it would run really hig (70-80psi) for a few minutes. but as soon as the car's temperature rose, the oil pressure dropped. after a long drive, the pressure would read a steady 1psi at any point in the revs. so this is what makes me believe its the pump but i'm not sure. as i recall though my oil pump wasn't very expensive. but thats in central PA where there is a sweet vw shop. best of luck to you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts