VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stumped. I'll drive on interstate for 15-20 miles and get off onto a regular street...the oil light comes on and beeps, then goes away. I have enough oil...is there something wrong with the oil pump?

·
Registered
175 Posts
too much oil will cause it to come on also.

·
Registered
203 Posts
in response to your question

the reason you oil light most likely comes on is because it is getting too hot.

if you are using 10w-40/30 weight of oil you shouldn't.

you should only use 10w-40/30 in the winter time and you should use 20w-50 in the summer time

i had this same problem with my 92 cabriolet

see if you are using 10w-40/30 in the summer the oil gets extremely hot and becomes like water that it isnt really lubricating anything very much

and if you read your owners manual it says in there that you shouldn't use 10-40/30 when traveling long distances or at high speeds which of both you are doing.

hope that helps

DropTopVeeDub...

·
Registered
3 Posts
YA I SUGGEST 20W/50 I RUN AMSOIL RACE LUBRICANT IN MY 2.0 TURBO I STARTED RUNNING 20W/50 CAUSE I HAD A SLIGHT LIFTER TAP, BUT I AGREE WITH A PREVIOUS REPLY I THINK YOU ARE RUNNING TOO THIN OF OIL AND IT GETS TO HOT AND THIN, HENCE WHEN YOU GET OFF THE HIGHWAY YOUR OIL PRESSURE WILL DROP CAUSE OF YOUR LOW RPM, BUT WITH THE THINNER OIL IT WILL LEAVE THE HEAD FASTER AND YOU WILL LOSE LUBRICATION

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I CAN'T RUN ANY SYNTHETICS, OR ADDITIVES...I USED SOME HIGH TACH ONCE AND SMOKED LIKE HELL

I'LL USE THE 20W50

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON OIL FILTERS?
ON PLUGS? I GOT BOSCH PLATINUM.

I THINK I NEED TO PUT MY MID MUFFLER BACK TOO

·
Registered
203 Posts
i would say go with a Fram oil filter i use them and have no problem with them and they are also cheap to buy But its Your choice and you pick what you think is best for your Dub

G

·
0 Posts
You may also have sediment in your oil pan that is partially clogging the intake for your oil pump after it get's sucked up. Change your oil and filter and look for debris. Oh yeah, my car is much faster than yours.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll run some engine flush...drain and then try to run some oil treatnment through to really flush it out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts