VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bottomed out my car last night in a dip in the road. I believe, or at least I hope put a hole in the oil pan and nothing more. Fortunately, I only drove another 100 ft. before I realized all the oil was pouring out. My question is, does anyone have an idea how much this might cost me? So that when I start calling around, I know who is pulling my leg and who isnt. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
cheap will run you around 200 bucks, bad will run you a new engine.

Did you run it without oil?
If you did, get a new oilpan on. You will probably need a new oil pump as well, these sit really low into the oilpan. Then have it towed to a place to check for spun bearings.

A quick way to check for spun bearings is, while you have the oilpan off, you will see the bottom of the piston rods. If any of them have any movement at all you are hosed.
If they all look right, you can pull the bottom of the main bearings off and check them, if there is any scoring you are hosed. If all of this checks out, I would still take it to a shop and have them go over it.

I am in the process of having a claim worked on because I did the same thing and spun a bearing. It's going to be a whole new engine to fix it. I did mine on Sept. 11 near a military base at 6 am. I couldn't pull over at all for about 1/2 mile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
forgot to mention, if you smacked the oilpump, don't run it. There could be metal in the oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts