VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an oil leak in my oil pressure sending unit, so I replaced it. Now there's no leak, but the oil pressure light blinks most of the time. Bad new sending unit?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Does the harness have a good connection to the sender? Does the dash buzz at you as well? What RPM's does it occur at?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the harness have a good connection to the sender? Does the dash buzz at you as well? What RPM's does it occur at?
Thanks a bunch! I think the connection is good, but I'll check. No buzz (although I know what that sounds like). And the RPM seems to not have anything much to do with it. After a few minutes of driving it has stopped blinking while idling at a stop-light, but then starts up again after a few minutes of driving....but I'll check it again.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
That's weird, i have never seen the oil light go off with no buzzer. Are you sure it's oil and not coolant light?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a problem with my oil pressure switch a couple years ago - it sent oil spewing underneath and behind my car on the highway and my light came on so I pulled over. My friend came and picked me up and we went to the nearest parts store (was a NAPA) and replaced it and I drove home.

The next morning I took the car to work and the oil light went off. I checked the oil pressure switch and there was no horrible spew like before, but when I popped the rubber connector off the top I noticed a tiny bubble of oil coming out of the unit. I was able to drive to work because I wasn't seriously leaking oil, but the light was on the whole time. There was no buzzer, and my car is a pre-96.5 Golf. I'm pretty sure this happened before I replaced the instrument cluster with a silver-faced one from a post-96.5 (with the abs and airbag lights on the cluster itself, not over to the left of the headlight switch)

Its a cheap 8 or 10 dollar part and apparently the one i bought was bad so I got a new one from a different store and returned the broken one. The next one I put in has been perfectly fine. Its likely its just a bad part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts