VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my oil. Put in some 5w-30 and a Boush filter. Had the same filter and 5w-50 in before. Anyways. After about 20 min of driving on the highway and I slow down my check oil light flashes and buzzes. If I pull over and turn the car off, wait a few min then start it again I will hear a heavy clicking in sync with the R.P.M's.

If I keep driving it goes away after a few seconds... sometimes a min.

Any idea's?

·
Registered
2 Posts
usally heavy tapping in the engine means your valves are tapping because you didn't have enough oil in the car, better hope thats not what it is because that can be very pricey to fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got oil in it. Checked that. Changed the oil filter to make sure it wasn't that. Made it all they way home from work with no problems. So I decided to give it a little run, when I ran it up to like 200 rpm shy of redline the alarm went off again. Kicked it into 5th to coast and it went away after 10 seconds. This time no clicking or any other noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine has 95,600. Transmision has 30,100. What makes you think that it wouldn't be the oil pump?

·
Registered
180 Posts
the components of an oil pump are mostly mechanical parts that don't have a high fail rate... and oil pumps are just not a common part to break

that mileage is not nearly enough to cause a main bearing to fail so my best guess would be to replace the oil pump and see what happens

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will check it out. Anyone know about how much it cost to replace an oil pump?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe it's your oil weight. Is 5W30 a recommended oil?? After extended highway, high RPM excursions, the oil will be thinner do to the heat produced. I say put the 5W50 back in. Otherwise, you don't have the higher viscosity protecting you at operating temps and above. I ran a VW to 225K miles, and the oil pump never needed replacement. These rarely fail. But, if I ran anything less than 20W50 in the summer, 10W40 in the winter (recommended for the '87 1.8L) then I had the exact same problem you speak of with the oil pressure alarm. Did you switch for winter? With the 5W50, you still get the same cold flow viscosity as the 5W30, so don't worry about that.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I would change the oil pump anyway.After 100,000 miles you are saying yourself from a headache later.Also replace your oil pressure sender.That may also solve your problem.Also make sure you did not over fill with oil.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
For oil I use 20w50 in the summer and 10w40 in the winter .The brand I buy is castrol syntech.I would not go back to any other brand again.Also I use a k/n oil filter.It is expense but you want a pressure valve in your filter.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
yea im with mark i've used 20/50 during the summer, in both my 92 golf and 96 jetta, i also use castrol. works pretty good for me, infact im about due for a change of oil and filter, i never used a k/n oil filter do u see a difference at all? i usually use a Wix oil filter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All oil filters have a pressure relief valve in them. If they didn't, the filter paper would rupture. I don't know what a K&N filter costs, but I've read that independant testing has rated the Purolator "PureOne" filters high, and they usually cost maybe a buck more than a "standard" filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts