VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Can anyone give me a bit of advice on what and where to check certain things that could be the cause of the Oil Light coming on.

My oil light came on a few weeks ago and I checked the oil level and it was low so I topped it up with about 2L of oil(5w 30 I believe)

Then last week the light came on again with the warning saying low oil pressure.

I am going to check the level this morning as have not had a chance but wanted to seek advice on what the issue may be if the level is low again or if it is fine. People have mentioned sending unit etc but not sure where or how I check these things.

By the ay my car is a VW Golf MK5 1.4TSI 170 GT Sport 07 plate if that helps

·
Registered
132 Posts
well if it's low on oil then you have a leak somewhere, if it isn't is the oil pressure sensor and really the only way to test that is to replace the sensor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well if it's low on oil then you have a leak somewhere, if it isn't is the oil pressure sensor and really the only way to test that is to replace the sensor
Thanks for the reply.

I have now moved it onto the drive on level ground as was slanted on a Kerb. Checked the oil level and seems to have gone down however when switching the ignition on the warning has gone so really confused now.

I am going to top it up tomorrow and drive it for a couple of days and then check it again.

Funny thing is I have been checking for the past 2 weeks for any oil leak marks where i have parked but none. Does this mean it could be leaking but staying internal to the car engine or burning up somewhere?

·
Registered
132 Posts
well you could be leaking somewhere, in my case I had a leak on my crank shaft that was slinging oil everywhere in the engine bay but I never saw a drop of oil on the ground

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well you could be leaking somewhere, in my case I had a leak on my crank shaft that was slinging oil everywhere in the engine bay but I never saw a drop of oil on the ground
Cheers for the advice. I have now topped it up with 2L of Oil and the light has gone. I think there is a problem but I am going to do this last check to make sure there is an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems I have the same predicament ?
What was done to rectify the issue and the cost ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts