VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it has been discussed that lowering the car puts the oilpan at risk. Is the oilpan at risk with the stock suspension if you slam into a pothole or something like that? A friend of my father was asking about it. Just thought I would check in with you guys. If I'm hard to follow that's b/c I've had more than a few brewhahas.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
If you hit a big/deep enough pothole, yes it could be damaged. But it would need to be a hell of a pothole (or speeding over a dip/bump in the road) to cause serious damage to it. So if you drive with some common scence you shouldnt need to worry. But its happened before.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
My oil pan is the only thing holding me back from suspension work. I have seen stock VR6es break their oil pans...alot. But, at the time, I was working in Jersey City, where the roads just plain suck. As long as the roads near you aren't total crap, and you keep your tires at the Mfr recommended pressure, you should be fine...with the stock suspension.

I want a dieselgeek skid plate for when I lower my car, just to be safe...which is better than sorry.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
My oil pan is the only thing holding me back from suspension work. I have seen stock VR6es break their oil pans...alot. But, at the time, I was working in Jersey City, where the roads just plain suck. As long as the roads near you aren't total crap, and you keep your tires at the Mfr recommended pressure, you should be fine...with the stock suspension.

I want a dieselgeek skid plate for when I lower my car, just to be safe...which is better than sorry.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah - I'm not sure if my Dad's friend has a VR or a 2.0 or what. It seems like you would have to do something pretty bad to whack the oil pan really good with stock suspension but maybe not.... How much are those skid plates? That sounds likea good idea.

·
Registered
777 Posts
can you get an aftermarket flatter and wider oil pan? suspention is my next step, and i dont need my cars nuts scraping the floor!

·
Registered
777 Posts
hmm looks like a pretty awsome product... i really dont like the drainage plug relocating thing tho, im against rubber hoses that can move around on their own free will, if they just made a hole there i think it would have been better, none the less ill still prolly get it and think on a geneous plan to make it look cool!

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
If any of you guys remember a few months ago, a baseball size rock punctured a hole in my oil pan. It was a huge mess. I tried to patch it with jb weld, marine apoxy, and metal apoxy with no real solution. I ended up getting a new oil pan. My next mod WILL be the DG skid plate w/ the remote oil drain tube. I have been looking into this for a while now, and just haven't gotten to it yet. Once I have it on, I will let everyone know how it is. I would like to get it before winter is over, because of the really shitty PA roads, and ice chunks in the middle of the road could cause problems to my new oil pan. keep in mind, I do not have stock suspension (bilstein sports with sachs sport springs)= pretty low in front.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Its easy for me, because I am a tech, I just put it up in the air at work and drop the plate down, no big deal. I am not a big fan of the oil drain relocator either, and there's really no point for installing it on a VR6, as you would have to drop the plate anyway to get at the filter, whereas you can access it from the top on 4 cyls. And with TDIs, the filter is on top anyway.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hey, i had an experience with my make 4 two years ago where i hit a pot hole and YES i did crack my oil pan in half. my car is not lowered, and yes at the time i was conisidering lowering it, but once my oil pan cracked i decided no to lower, i think the better option is to put a body kit on with side skirts.

·
Registered
252 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
I just put it up in the air at work and drop the plate down, no big deal. I am not a big fan of the oil drain relocator either,

I was thinking about getting this skid plate as well when I plan on installing airbag suspension on the car. I don't like the oil relocation kit either. So you can just unbolt the skid plate to change the oil? Just wanted to know when the time comes to get it.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah - I think the garage would be pissed at me for making them take that plate off and I don't have the lifts to change my own oil and using ramps sucks b/c it scrapes on the bottom of front lip.

·
Registered
777 Posts
anyone wanna get some g/b prices? if we can get a good deal on it i think it would be well worth it... im not knocking their price by the way, considering it comes with a tool etc....

·
Registered
777 Posts
i think you can still change the oil...

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GalacticVR6:
i think you can still change the oil...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So those slots allow access to the oil filter and the drain plug on the oil pan? (having a tough time judging from the pic)

[ February 01, 2004: Message edited by: Tommunist ]

·
Registered
777 Posts
hey guys ive been talking to jim from dieselgeek about the skidplate and he sent me a new design, i dont know what the prices are yet but would anyone be interested?

·
Registered
777 Posts
trying to get everyones opinion on the new design.... so this is kinda like a BUMP!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I like the new design....if it lets you change the oil without a drain kit. A Group Buy on the new design sounds tempting.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I would go for the old design, because its all 1 solid piece, which makes it much stronger, and I would benefit from the reduction of aerodynamic resistance from the undercarriage. I think it would do a much better job protecting the cast aluminum that resides in the front of my car...

But these reasons are only because I can drop the pan at work, which is easy because of the lift.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts