VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered my ECS Clutch Kit today! It will be here on Monday.

I can't wait to see what a 12lb flywheel feels like when it revs! I also will be ordering the diesel geek race ss to try and compensate for how much quicker the revs will drop between shifts with the lightened flywheel.

Once I get it in, (next weekend hopefully) I will give a full review. I don't know how long this is going to take for install, but I have a buddy that is going to help me and allow me to use his lift and shop with air tools. I am pretty good at installs, and was going to have someone else do it, but I am pretty confident that I can do this myself. I have done all the other work myself so why not this? I am assuming this will be a weekend long project, but at least I know I am not going to get stranded with a clutch that won't hold at all once it is in. I hope to write up a detailed How To w/ pics if I can get a hold of a digital camera, because I have never seen a how to on the net for the MKIV tranny/clutch (I don't think many have the balls to try themselves
). It should be a good thread for others to search and reference in the future.

I have a road trip planned to go to Killinton, VT and Keene, NH the following week to visit my family, so that should be a good break in period for the clutch as it is over 500 miles each way, and tons of stop and go between here and there. It will be difficult to not push it during the break in period, but I know if I do it will probably glaze the clutch and then I will be screwed.

I can't wait to see if my ET's and traps improve at the track with the lightened flywheel and with a clutch that will actually hold the power I am making. Last time I was there I was still pulling [email protected] on race fuel, only because the clutch was slipping like crazy, plus I was at Beaver Springs which is known to be .2-.3 seconds slower and 2-4mph slower than Maple Grove or Cecil, where all my other runs were made.

Hopefully this will help me reach my goals of 13's this summer. If I can hit 13's on the stock turbo with no nitrous, just basic bolt ons, I will be very happy. I think I can do this now that I will be able to hold the power I am making, if I go back to Cecil County on race fuel. So far there have only been 6 other bolt on 1.8T Jetta's that can produce timeslips to prove a 13 second run with no nitrous and a stock turbo. Most of these guys have a lot more aftermarket parts in those cars than I do as well, mostly they have dump tubes right behind the turbo, as well as slicks or drag radials. I am not too far behind, and I still have street tires and a stock catback........

[ July 25, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
wow i really want to see how this turns out.

post times of before and after new clutch and flywheel!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
i also would like to see how much of a diffrence this makes. please keep us posted on this.
jon

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will definately keep everyone posted on this. The install may need to wait an extra week though, I had to unexpectantly replace my eyeglasses this week, and that drained some of the $$$ I had planned on using to give to RMA Design for the use of his lift and airtools and guidance while I did the work.

As far as performance gains, I do expect to see the times drop quite a bit, but not necessarily because of the lightened flywheel/clutch, I would imagine that only a small percentage of the gains will be because of that. I presume the real gains I see will be because of the clutch being able to actually hold what I am making, plus the extra power I am getting from the new APR v2.0 100 octane software. It was slipping on the 93 octane program, so I am sure it is slipping even more on the 100. I would imagine a lot of this extra power was escaping and never seeing the road because of the slipping clutch. I think I got a hold of a digital camera to use to take pics of the install too, so hopefully I can write a detailed how to on how to drop the tranny and install the clutch assembly for those that plan on a DIY for this in the future.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i was looking into the diesel geek SS bu the install on that looked like a biatch.. so id have to take it to a shop or something...keep us posted

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The install on a SS really isn't that hard. the hardest part is just getting the old one off.
jon

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
They make it sound harder then it really is, they are just being VERY detailed, i think it took me a whole 30 min to do mine.
jon

·
Registered
777 Posts
what did the combo cost... if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Midnight VR6:
what did the combo cost... if you dont mind me asking?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$639 plus shipping for the clutch. I did not buy the Diesel geek short shifter yet, but that will be an extra $125.

You can read more about the kit at www.ecstuning.com

They have some of the best deals for MKIV stuff. Specifically their best deals are for brakes, maintenance stuff like timing belts, and drivetrain stuff like clutch kits.

·
Registered
777 Posts
appreciated dude....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts