VW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I would start a thread for those that drive or own other vehicles besides vw's. Right now I have my 2014 Mazda cx-5 touring awd, 2007 ninja 650r and rebuilding my 2004 300ex.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
1979 Honda CX500 Custom that I'm rebuilding. Not quite running yet.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to post my 300. Its all there. Motor is on the work bench waiting for the clutch.

Swapped all the rear end components from the donor to my swingarm. Donor was cracked.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got more done. Bedlined the whole frame, bolted on the sprocket, shock, and rear caliper. Also swapped out the protaper raptor bars for renthal fatbars I had hidden away.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sprayed another coat of bedliner on the frame and my bumper I made out of the stock bumper and a curling weight bar.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A-arms and shocks on. Need to bleed the front brakes. May stuff the engine in tomorrow or this weekend. Should be a roller soon.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engine ready to go back in.

Harness in place

Engine resting in place.

All bolted in. Carb on. Everything plugged in

Barnett clutch should be here on the 9th.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need to update. Quad runs and drives now. Clutch feels awesome. Got a new chain and rebuilt the carb. Found an old pic from 2008 of me on it.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics from today. Still have to mount the nerf bars, get a new seat cover, fix the hole in the back tire, strip the paint off the plastics. There must be 5 layers of paint on it.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Nicely done.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Prepare for shitty pictures. Didn't feel like getting my DSLR and my phone is a tard when it comes to auto focus.

Made a new bracket and mounting location

Little tub to hide all my electrical under the seat

Made a bracket to mount the new led taillight/turn signal/license plate bracket.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Tank done, seat done. Tank is bare metal, slightly polished and clear coated.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That bike looks awesome. I would take that over mine anyway. Like that style.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
You can find them from typically $200-$1200 still in running condition. Bad thing about them is they're kinda heavy. ~500lbs wet.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would like to find a kz500. My dad had a kz400 and it was the first bike I rode on and rode myself. Would be fun to chop one.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Those bikes are awesome. My next one is either a CB350/400 or a KZ400. I want to do full ground up restorations on bikes like those until I find a Norton Commando to restore/cafe. That's my dream bike, but I wanna learn on these more dispensable bikes than cut and weld on a hard to find expensive one.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only thing that I don't like about them is the weight and synchronizing the carbs. My dad always had carb trouble. He was constantly rebuilding them each year. They were probably just wore out.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that. Mine has 2 carbs to be synched (not as bad as some bikes with the 4), and has bigger jets for the pod filters that are going on them. No idea what I'm doing, so it should be interesting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts