VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this article regarding engine oil and thought it was too fantastic to just keep to myself. If you know everything about oil, then it will be a great refresher. If you want to know more about oil, then it will be a greatly informative article.

FerrariChat.com - FAQ: Motor Oil Articles by Dr. Ali E. Haas (AEHaas)

Mike (MKIII Emeritus)

Reactions: Samzrx

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
We have something like this in the MK IV forum, you should sticky this Keehn

·
Registered
209 Posts
so, for my golf 3, 1.4 44kw, 92 model witch oil is corect one? (i change it at every 9500 -10000km, and i lose 700-900 ml, at every oil change)
10w40 / 15w40?
castrol / aral?

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can tell you this the guy I bought my 1.4 Golf from 93' . He put Pennzoil 10w-30 in it and after a long drive on the high way and some stop and go and then a small 10 minute drive up hill...I live in Sicily right now by the way..The Oil Light would come on and then if I give it some gas the pressure would go back up and it would go off. I changed the oil yesterday, and used Castrol GTX 10-40, and it does not come on at all.. I even abused it a little on the way home to make sure(Autostrada is so much fun)... just my experience this past few months.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oil

The article is impressive, but, it seems to be relevent to watercooled engines more so than aircooled. I would be running #50 racing oil if it was still available here in Honolulu at my parts distributor. But since it's not available I run straight #40 Pennzoil in my 73 type 1 with a 1956cc engine. I change my oil and filter every month or 500 to no more than 700 miles on the clock.
I built the engine from the inside out in 2007 and drive it daily without any,
let me say again, without any, problems at all. Regular maintenance is performed every 3500 to 4000 miles to maintain peak performance. So where am I going wrong in using the #40 weight oil? If I'm doing anything wrong with my own machine, please enlighten me to the proper and recommended methods and proceedures.

Ainokea

1 - 8 of 8 Posts