VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've heard that it does nothing for performance and some people have said that you lose horsepower with it b/c it may suck in warm air.

brett has it he should ring in soon enough and give you his 2 cents. personally i would have went with the cai instead of the p-flo.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:

brett has it he should ring in soon enough and give you his 2 cents. personally i would have went with the cai instead of the p-flo.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I have a P-Flo... am I happy with it? No. Definitely call whoever you ordered it from and see if you can get the CAI instead, maybe they haven't shippied it yet...

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
agree with brett. no you are not a dumba$$...just uninformed that's all. all dubbers make mistakes. I know I have. you just learn more as time goes on.

·
Registered
288 Posts
i just got my good ol' P-flo in the mail today...do you think Neuspeed allows returns for a full refund...its still in the box, packaged...by the way, i ordered a Carbonio CAI today...hopefully i can return the P-flo

·
Registered
288 Posts
wow...I just searched back about info for the P-flo. I have an 03' GTI 1.8t and was looking to get an intake for it. My friend has an Ingen CAI in his 02' GTI and it makes a really nice "WOOSH" soudn when you step on the gas. So, that was what I wanted, but I didn't want the water splashing into the filter because of it being too low...So I got the bright idea of getting the P-flo intake. I just ordered it the other day, and haven't received it yet. So I was checkin out some info about it on here, and everyone said it sucked! Is it really that bad, does it make the woosh sound, and should I return it??? help

·
Registered
9 Posts
contrary to many other cars, vw's stock intake box is actually pretty well designed. too bad i learned this after ripping out about 100 pieces of plastic to fit my cold-air. for the modder on a budget, a k&n drop-in will suffice but a p-flow will give you that nice "woosh" sound you described. btw, nice choice with the carbonio! wish i could afford one....

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
CIA is the way to go, dont worry about the water, a s long as the filter is oilded good no water is going to get into it. And thank you for not being like ur friend and getting a fookin injen or Aem, god i get so mad at these dub tuners with AEM and motegies...

·
Registered
777 Posts
im glad you got the carbonio, awsome choice, go ahead and give neuspeed a call and if they will take it back awsome! youll get stuck with shipping if they do
anyway, you will deffinately get the sound out of p-flo, id go as far as to say even more so than the cai, but not the performance, dont get me wrong the cai is still gonna be pretty darn loud. but its not on top of the motor 2 1/2 feet in front of the firewall

make your own choice and dont let folks pressure you into things ! good luck dood!

he he 200

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
And thank you for not being like ur friend and getting a fookin injen or Aem, god i get so mad at these dub tuners with AEM and motegies...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

motegies i understand but aem makes a pretty decent intake. i don't see what's wrong with it. many do like there intakes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only way to get water through it is to have it completely submerged in water. And even then there is a way around it. You can get a bypass valve for it, go to www.adventon.com, they will have one for a CAI. I have an injen and love it. But there really isn't to much difference in performance when it comes to CAI's. meaning between injen, Carbonio, AEM and so on. Get which ever one YOU like.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Something all of you should keep in mind about cold air intakes is that for the most part, they're all bullsh*t. If anyone tells you that you will lose power because it's sucking in warm air, then they're just telling you what others have told them. Even if it is so, you will gain about 1hp per 11 degrees of intake tract temperature reduction. In our tests showing intake manifold air temp we saw a bit of a rise while sitting at a stop as expected, but the air temperature quickly reduced after the car started moving. Then, while we were moving we saw temperatures that were several degrees below ambient. The point here is that you won't get much colder than ambient and if you do, then it won't be much. Less than the 11 degrees, so at most you might get close to the 1 hp gain. If the filter is a restriction, that's something different entirely. But, usually that isn't an issue with the stock VW airbox.

[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: vwmike ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Also keep in mind that the air a foot above black asphalt in the sun can be as much a sfifty degrees hotter than air two feet off the ground. If you want real cold air, go for a snorkel!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tttt9rsfan:
i'm such a dumba$$... lol<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have it too. So make it 2 dumbasses'.

However... when I modded most of my car there was NOTHING else available. So I guess I can live with it.

As per performance it doesn't SUCK, but the CAI that go down the fender are better for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Don't knock AEM. The stuff they put out is pretty good. Most of the stuff they do put out is for cars from Japan, but their high end stuff isn't ricer material...

Their CAIs are just fine. I bought AEM because they have the dyno sheets to prove what they say, and a lot of people had good things to say about em. I bolted mine in, and it made a world of a difference...Im not in it for the noise, Im in it for the power, and this CAI delivered.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have the Neuspeed p-flow and I like it. I put it on with a turbo x-s bypass valve and already had a supersprint 2.5 cat back exhaust on. I noticed a huge difference but I think thats because I already had the exhaust on. It does make that wooshing sound. As for hot air I'm not really worried it comes with a heat shield and I left the air pickup on there so it still is getting a rush of air. Plus I thought about getting a scoop on the hood right over the air filter. True ram-air.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just think out loud about the bypass valve, it's nothing but trouble for you. I've seen someone with one installed onto his AEM CAI and he claims to have no problems with. And also with the whole water sucking in issue, its true you need to have a significant amount of water to hydrolock your engine but it does happen, so just think about the area where you live in. I actually saw 2 floods in my block recently.

And the p-flo is no better then a stock airbox with a k&n panel filter.

·
Registered
223 Posts
well I say get the p-flo and get your hood cut out right where the pflow is and you should be gettin better gains then the cai lol its gonna cost you around 300 tho. thats what this one guy here has and he is runin 13.8 1/4mile with an apr chip, neuspeed p-flow, neuspeed cat back and he has the momo light weight seats, with the hood cut out. if u donno what Im talking about I donno if any of u guys seen it but I can search for some pics I think I have some saved

·
Registered
288 Posts
i know what you're talking about, i was debating on wheather or not to cut the hole in my hood and stick w/ the p-flo or just get CAI. i just decided to go w/ Carbonio's CAI. i'm happy w/ it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts