VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GTI 2009 MKV ,6 speed manual, 211,920 miles:
Last Friday, coming back from Hopkinsville KY , running about 3500 RPM, sixth gear, windows down, sunroof opened, I started to smell plastic burning. At that point, I was cursing the moron burning plastic in his backyard along HWY24, then my engine died!
I plugged my code reader , got the 0302 cylinder two misfire. popped the hood, unplugged the rail feeding all four coils, Coil #2 (#1 is the one by the belt left side engine), burned pin of the coil still plugged in the connector, and coil showed sign of heavy internal melting. I left #2 coil unplugged and reinstalled the others. Attempted to crank the engine on 3 cylinders, tracked down blown fuse SB14 20Amp and replaced it. Engine started and maintained idle correctly on the low side but stable. I was able to drive home (80 miles) on 3 cylinders, about 45 Mph uphill with engine knocking & 70 down hill running fairly decent. Noticed MPG jumped from my usual 29 to 44 with the 3 Cylinder setup. I will assume the ECU sensed Cylinder #2 at fault and shutdown the injector #2. I did not noticed any fuel contamination in the oil or foul plug.
New set of Coils ordered from ECS tuning should put the car back in business.

I cannot emphasis how important a code reader, plenty of fuses and a 10mm wrench are when you drive a high mileage car, that and AAA on your speed dial just in case.
Cheers,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Burned out coil packs are pretty common in recent VAGs and you are doing the right thing changed them all out. Normally when one goes, the others soon follow.
What I find strange is how come you had no previous symptoms (rough running (specially when engine cold), hesitations, poor fuel economy, etc)? Also, did the CEL not come on ever before? It is strange to have a coil pack fail directly like that without any previous tell-tale signals. BTW, what is the mileage on your car?

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
I have had mine fry like that before. Ran fine heading to work, got out and start going and bam at a light the car starts bucking and Cel starts flashing. not a bad plan to have an extra laying around on these cars...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P0302 Cylinder #2 misfire Part II

Hi Luis G,
No warning whatsoever. The ECL light came on at same time the battery light came on, when the coil blew the fuse SB14 and engine died.
Mileage car is 211,920 miles with no previous issues related to coils. In the past, I did have numerous issues with intake manifold and throttle pedal/throttle body codes.

On another note, impressive response from ECS Tuning. Parts were ordered late friday night, received today monday 14:00 by mail and Installed.
Car should be good for another 200,000 Miles.
Cheers,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Luis G,
No warning whatsoever. The ECL light came on at same time the battery light came on, when the coil blew the fuse SB14 and engine died.
Mileage car is 211,920 miles with no previous issues related to coils. In the past, I did have numerous issues with intake manifold and throttle pedal/throttle body codes.

On another note, impressive response from ECS Tuning. Parts were ordered late friday night, received today monday 14:00 by mail and Installed.
Car should be good for another 200,000 Miles.
Cheers,
Hi, I think that those earlier throttle body/pedal codes and issues, albeit unrelated, might have probably masked some of the symptoms you would have otherwise noticed. Those were probably affecting drivability and fuel consumption. Keep us posted on the improvements you see now with the new coils. I'm sure the engine sounds sweet now...?

Your biggest problem regarding mileage might actually be the gearbox, not the engine. BTW, is it a manual or auto?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P0302 Cylinder #2 misfire

Hi Luis G,
It is indeed very possible early CEL warnings could have been a precursor for coils failure. My most common codes related to throttle were : P0121 & P0221, followed by P0507 & P0638. I'll monitor the engine to see if there is any improvements.
Gearbox is manual 6, oil replaced every 50,000 miles since new, noticed very fine coating of metal powder when I stick my finger in the drain hole, but overall gearbox seems sound.
Cheers,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Luis G,
It is indeed very possible early CEL warnings could have been a precursor for coils failure. My most common codes related to throttle were : P0121 & P0221, followed by P0507 & P0638. I'll monitor the engine to see if there is any improvements.
Gearbox is manual 6, oil replaced every 50,000 miles since new, noticed very fine coating of metal powder when I stick my finger in the drain hole, but overall gearbox seems sound.
Cheers,
Good going! You seem to be doing all you can to keep it going as long as you can!
I'm don't know the descriptions for those codes and to be honest sometimes feel that we tend to rely too much on OBD, which was primarily developed to maintain emissions under control... Especially the dealers, they forgot how to test a car without a computer or code reader... Later OBD's are more complete and manufacturers tried to take advantage by including more and more advanced diagnostic tools, but they simply cannot control/monitor everything. Sometimes the codes are a bit of a pointer, not really the answer... That is how I look at them anyway.
On the gearbox issue, I think that there are some production control issues and I believe that some are lucky and some not, but definitely changing the oil helps.
I had a problem with a kind of grinding noise on a Passat when turning the wheels close to full-lock, crossing the axles and breaking with the engine (what you do when you get into an underground car park) and the fix was some "grinding" additive, run a few miles (15 from memory) and then new gearbox oil... The car was new (0 km) and they know the problem is somewhere in production (bad finishing by the looks of it). I was lucky that the car was brand-new and I paid attention, if not, you might be done and changing the gearbox is something most people are unwilling to pay for on a relatively low mileage car. I know quite a few people with similar issuer who ended up selling the car and moving on to another brand...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P0302 Cylinder #2 issue

Follow up on my P0302 issue:
After installing 4 new coils & plugs, the engine eventually gave me a P0420. (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1).
As a first measure, I replaced both O2 sensors (since they both have 212,000 miles) to see. That did not fix it and I have a new Cat coming. So it seems running on three cylinders going back home with a burned coil did some damage to my exhaust system.
Cheers,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
P0302 Cylinder #2 issue

Final report on the chain of events related to burning coil #2:
Finally received my new Cat, came from Germany as there was none available in the States. However, the Cat did not fit my particular Turbo housing. At this point , I speculate there are two style of Turbo/Cat systems made for this car. Mine being a end of serie 2009 could explain why the first Cat did not fit housing studs. ( the copper gasket is designed to fit on both styles Turbo/Cat setup. there are two fix holes and two oblong holes to accomodate the "in" -Late model?- studs or the "out" -Early model?- studs pattern.)
Reordered correct Cat with "in" holes pattern, torqued to my turbo housing and ran for about a thousand miles without drama.
For all of the MKV out there, make sure you measure the stud pattern of your current turbo housing when you order any parts related to Turbo/Cat stuff.
Cheers,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts