VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ever closer to having my car running properly. I cleared up the idle issues by cleaning the TB and replacing the gasket: it's idling like a champ even after disconnecting the battery for 15min - no adjustment needed... however...

When I give it some gas it drops low on the rebound, briefly sounds like it's about to stall, but then comes right back to a healthy idle.

More importantly I'm getting a P1580 (throttle actuator B1 malfunction) that I wasn't getting before I cleaned the TB so I'm worried I damaged it. I reset the code, drove, it came back, reset again, it came back again.

...I may have opened the side box with the gears and sensors, but I'm good with electronics and was extremely careful to keep it clean and in-tact. I wanted to check that everything was working properly on the inside. No damage, no visible wear on the sensors, all the electrical connections looked pristine. I'm really hoping I didn't eff my TB by opening the side...

I did my research and found a mess of info about the code, but nothing seemed to make sense. Any further guidance???

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
got the same code today and my car was acting the same way. Now it won't start at all after cleaning the maf and tb.

gonna get into it tomorrow. ill let you know

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got the same code today and my car was acting the same way. Now it won't start at all after cleaning the maf and tb.

gonna get into it tomorrow. ill let you know
Wow, thanks! My fingers are crossed for something crazy-cheap. (A $2 gasket solved my idling problem)...

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
OK, got mine working perfectly.

Your TB is not likely damaged at all -just out of calibration from a low battery or heavy use while idling or stop and go traffic.

Here's what you do.

Finish cleaning up the TB and intake (clean the MAF with alcohol).

Put it all back together and re-seat all connections.

Now -disconnect your battery for 20 minutes and if you have an external battery charger go ahead and charge you battery so you have strong battery to fire the car on initially.

Now re-connect your battery and turn the key half way where you AC and radio come on (turn your AC off)

Let the car sit for 3-5 minutes. If you put your ear under the hood at the Throttle body you can here the TB recalculating -it sounds like an electrical whizzing. Since you have the disconnected the car for so long the ECU and actuator have lost the set points, MAF relationship (if you have P0102 or P0103 also), and must set again.

Now crank the car and take it for a spin and you will find it is back to normal except the DTC P01580 is still there.

Don't worry it will clear itself in about 50-75 miles of driving.

There's your cheap fix....How's free sound?

Let me know how you do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, got mine working perfectly.

Your TB is not likely damaged at all -just out of calibration from a low battery or heavy use while idling or stop and go traffic.

Here's what you do.

Finish cleaning up the TB and intake (clean the MAF with alcohol).

Put it all back together and re-seat all connections.

Now -disconnect your battery for 20 minutes and if you have an external battery charger go ahead and charge you battery so you have strong battery to fire the car on initially.

Now re-connect your battery and turn the key half way where you AC and radio come on (turn your AC off)

Let the car sit for 3-5 minutes. If you put your ear under the hood at the Throttle body you can here the TB recalculating -it sounds like an electrical whizzing. Since you have the disconnected the car for so long the ECU and actuator have lost the set points, MAF relationship (if you have P0102 or P0103 also), and must set again.

Now crank the car and take it for a spin and you will find it is back to normal except the DTC P01580 is still there.

Don't worry it will clear itself in about 50-75 miles of driving.

There's your cheap fix....How's free sound?

Let me know how you do.
I have the exact same problem. I followed the steps you posted and still no luck. Car turns over but won’t start. I have a 99 Jetta 2.0. I’m hoping something comes to light soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts