VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all; did a search on this but couldn't really find the answer. I wanna paint my brake calipers (black 1.8t w/ the factory 17's) but I've never done it before....so a few questions:
1. Is it hard? Should I do it myself or get someone else to? How much would that cost?
2. Can I buy the paint at like trak auto or should I get the kit (I found one at performance-cafe.com)
3. Would red look good, or should I get black? anyone know of any pics out there?
Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's not hard at all, so I assume you can do it easily yourself. Some of my friends, who are complete idiots did it and it looks good. I didn't help them do it, so I'm not that sure, just get high temperature paint I think, but I'd wait for someone who's done it before to reply.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Stores sell brake caliper paint... the process is easy... remove the wheel... remove the calipers.... and paint them... you can paint the calipers without removing them also... just tape the surroundings... good luck... oh yea, i suggest red or yellow

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
im doing mine red, ive had the paint for like 4 months already but ive never goten around to doing it, thanks for postin this topic. i was thinking about taking the calipers cause you dont have to worry about over spray, but then it gets real messy because of brake fluid and all that stuff and you have to drain the brakes and all that. dont you? well good luck and when i get around to doin mine, ill tell ya how it went and you do the same.
rich

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all Very helpful...I think I'll just spray them w/ a lot of care (and a ton of newspaper) and see what happens. I think it's a really good idea for a cosmetic mod 'cause it looks damn cool and you barely have to spend anything (putting my freshly painted Kamei grill in this afternoon, I can't wait!)

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
here is a link to a previous topic. I started that topic months ago. I painted mine, and it was super easy. I would get a can of caliper paint (about $5), a can of primer, metal sandpaper,masking tape, and newspaper to mask off the body of your car(and your rotor). I painted mine black, but it what you like. The 337s (which are silver) have red calipers. But I would stick with black.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
If you really have to paint them you can use VHT Brake Caliper, Drum & Rotor paint in a spray can around $10.
SP-731 Racing Red is what I have bought but haven't used it yet, as I am debating to take the calipers off, sandblast them, have them polished (nice silver) and clear coat them with 900F / 490 Celcius Temperature / Chemical Resistant layer.
Regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts