VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that you need to get a resin hardener so that the paint will stick to arches and all the other plastic. Has anybody painted the plastic before that can give me some tips?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
i'm not a fan of painted fenders but what you meen is adhesive promoter. Some plastics won't handle th epaint well. I can't tell you if vw flares do or not since i never tried. Are you having a shop do it? if so they can tell when the sand it. if it melts as they sand it needs the promotor. if not then the paint and primer and sealer should stick just fine. if you're doing it and you're not sure talk to a local body guy and get his opinion. Maybe somone on here has done this and has your answer. hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
1. clean plastic with preclean
2. spray plastic with tie coat
3. spray with primer-filler
4. sand until texture starts to show through
(repeat step 3-4 until the trim is smooth)
5. spray non sandable sealer
6. spray basecoat
7. spray clearcoat with flex agent
(PPG, or something comperable)

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I kinda want to do it my self to save some cash but it looks like a bigger project than I had thought.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sureal:
Thanks for the info guys. I kinda want to do it my self to save some cash but it looks like a bigger project than I had thought.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think it looks better to just tremove them then to paint them. get a half arch for the rear flare. They came stock on some of the earlier cars and take off the fronts. In my opinion that looks better then painting them. But it's your car. Probably be pretty cheap to have done at a shop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will take them off. I have a whole plastic kit from a 1992 GLI so I will paint all of the plastic at once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts