VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I've posted this message in the "New members introductions" forum, but since it kind of got ignored (and it probably wasn't its place there either) I'll post it here too.

I'm hopefully a few steps away from becoming a proud owner of a new Golf MK6. Not only that, but it's gonna be my first car too (actually it'll be both mine and my girlfriend's).

Now there are still a few things I am unsure about and I'd like to hear some opinions about one of them. Thing is we're both noob drivers and I'd rather play safe and get some sort of parking assistance. So I have to decide if I get optical parking sensors or the reversing camera (the camera would also force me to also get the cooler CD-player RCD510 so I kinda like the idea). None is also an option.

So which one should it be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Driving is a lost form.... Seriously if you need your car to help you park, all that means is you need to learn how too.

Im not looking forward to the day when cars drive themselves.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Hello,

I've posted this message in the "New members introductions" forum, but since it kind of got ignored (and it probably wasn't its place there either) I'll post it here too.

I'm hopefully a few steps away from becoming a proud owner of a new Golf MK6. Not only that, but it's gonna be my first car too (actually it'll be both mine and my girlfriend's).

Now there are still a few things I am unsure about and I'd like to hear some opinions about one of them. Thing is we're both noob drivers and I'd rather play safe and get some sort of parking assistance. So I have to decide if I get optical parking sensors or the reversing camera (the camera would also force me to also get the cooler CD-player RCD510 so I kinda like the idea). None is also an option.

So which one should it be?

Thanks!
Vlad, where do you live that you feel you need a parking assistance system?

I mean no insult and probably because you are inexperienced with driving, you are intimidated and feel this system is necessary -I can understand judging by the first time I ever drove.

-but really, once you get comfortable with the car -understand the dimensions of your car -there is no reason for such a system unless you have little children running around your car where you live.

Developing driving and parking skills will negate the need for this system.
Such a system will actually inhibit the development of driving skills too.
It is a waste of money in my opinion.

It's like the kid who gets an electronic tuner with his first guitar and then never develops a ear to tune his own guitar because of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vlad, where do you live that you feel you need a parking assistance system?

I mean no insult and probably because you are inexperienced with driving, you are intimidated and feel this system is necessary -I can understand judging by the first time I ever drove.

-but really, once you get comfortable with the car -understand the dimensions of your car -there is no reason for such a system unless you have little children running around your car where you live.

Developing driving and parking skills will negate the need for this system.
Such a system will actually inhibit the development of driving skills too.
It is a waste of money in my opinion.

It's like the kid who gets an electronic tuner with his first guitar and then never develops a ear to tune his own guitar because of it.
There are cars parked everywhere where I live and I'm a bit scared of hitting the car while parking ever since I decided to go for a new car instead of a used one. I would really hate if that happened, especially in the first few months, because I'm sure it would badly hurt my confidence.

But I've been thinking myself too about what you guys said. That is why I don't want the optical parking system. That one has sensors all around the car, it has a screen display and it beeps... it's way too interfering...

But the reverse camera IMO is just like another mirror, just that it has a more relevant viewing angle when backing up. And I think it can be easily ignored too. And, as I previously said, it forces me to get the big touchscreen cd-player, which my geeky self would really want, but probably wouldn't get otherwise. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts