VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do these work? Do they just lean the mix slightly for a faster burn? Why would it not be desirable for the manufacturers to optimize this? Is increased knock a side effect?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
they also take away the rev limiter at the red line and take away the governer if the car has it. not sure how they give hp. they also do somthign with the trany on auto cars. dont they?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I am not positive, but I think they change the air-fuel ratio to change the hp. Also, if you noticed there is a very big delay from the time you hit the throttle to the time you actually get a throttle response, they are supposed to fix that (well, GIAC chips are). I can't really vouch for all of this, but I read it.

Go to GIAC and you can read all about it.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
i know for a fact that horsepower gains in 1.8t engines are attributed to the higher boost level that the chip sets. Also the air to fuel mixture helps increase power.

i'm not too sure about naturally aspirated cars, such as the vr6.

i know some cars, such as my dads '97 cobra, are underrated from the factory. once chipped it can increase horesepower in a significant way. my dad was offered a chip from the ford dealer that would increase power by 45 horsepower for $1000.

·
Registered
127 Posts
on non forced induction cars it advances the timing (why you have to run higher octane gas) and chanhes the air fuel mixture.

On turbo cars it does the same thing but raises the boost level.

·
Registered
8 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
I am not positive, but I think they change the air-fuel ratio to change the hp. Also, if you noticed there is a very big delay from the time you hit the throttle to the time you actually get a throttle response, they are supposed to fix that (well, GIAC chips are). I can't really vouch for all of this, but I read it.
Go to GIAC and you can read all about it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think they increase throttle response b/c chips advance the timing slightly along with the air/fuel and sometimes boost level depending on the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did mean to specify natural asperation. I'm just kind of doubt the claims I see on these chips. Removing speed limiters is nice, if you have access to a track or don't mind jail. I just don't understand the HP gains associated with these things. Improved throttle response makes sense, but seems that it would make the engine more prone to knock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I asking because I am thinking about buying a VW. I have been driving my girlfriend's 2000 Jetta VR6 about about a year and a half, and have pretty much decided I have to get a GTI or I'm going to die. My last four cars have been Saab turbos, which I love, buy my current one is sitting in the garage with my *fifth* broken Saab five speed. I really like the Jetta, but I'd like to have something I little more nimble and quicker. The VW seems to be more reliable, and it even starts every day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts