VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know where I could find a pillar pod that would match my tan interior on my '01 Jetta. I have seen one that matched perfectly, does anyone know who makes it and/or where i can find it? Also i wanted to know what kind of boost guage would best match my VW-blue dash?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vwolfsburg18t:
I wanted to know where I could find a pillar pod that would match my tan interior on my '01 Jetta. I have seen one that matched perfectly, does anyone know who makes it and/or where i can find it? Also i wanted to know what kind of boost guage would best match my VW-blue dash?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SPP makes one that looks good. Also, I bought the basic Autometer a-pillar pod in black, then took the headrest out of my car for matching purposes and walked into the paint store and looked for a can that matched it perfectly. I painted it and have gotten tons of compliments on it from many people, it looks good if I do say so myself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DAMNIT,
I have the airbag on my A-Pillar pod and I can't get this setup. I don't know if i like the one that mounts on the steering column. What are your opinions and do you know where i could buy the pod for the steering column mount? I am not all about getting a guage through my face if I get into an accident so unfortunately I cannot get this setup.......oh well CHIP SOON !!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As usual another question....I have an aftermarket CD head unit in my console (bottom) then the stock empty space (middle) then the cupholders (top). Can the 3 guage cluster on that same website (42 Draft Designs) fit into this alloted area in the middle? Also, i don't have the skills to install this myself what do you estimate installation costs to be?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just installed my boost gauge this weekend I got the one from ecs tuning w/ the steering column pod I personally like it, it is right in view with my other guages. As for the gauge itself I got a vdo one I also payed extra for a light bulb that they said would match the stock gauges perfect. Well it doesn't match perfect the stock guages are a little more purple and the needle isn't nearly as bright as the stock gauges. Now the match is very close to original. I couldn't tell a difference until it was completely dark outside. But still not perfect. I would question any guage that says its a perfect match and would have to see it to believe it. Just my .02.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yea that 3 guage thing is made for the empty spot right above ur headunit. Just a guess for installation prolly about 50-75 bucks...just a guess

·
Registered
471 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
What are your opinions and do you know where i could buy the pod for the steering column mount?
I think the column pod is rather trick, unless of coarse you have the check package in your cluster. The location of the pod renders it unreadable.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Do not worry about the pod being on a-pillar. I have one, and have had one for quite some time. Last January, I had a pretty bad accident where all front airbags deployed, and the gauge went nowhere and there was not an issue. The airbag deploys from the top down, and only comes about halfway down the pillar, nowhere close to the pod assembly. There were pics of this on Vortex quite some time ago that someone took of a car with deployed a-pillar bags w/ a pod on there, and you can clearly see that the pod doesn't interfer in the least with the airbags.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks,
Thats good news bc i liked that assembly much more than the other ones. And its cheaper. I was wondering if the airbag deployed only at the top and now that i know that it does i am anxious to get this pod and guage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
Do not worry about the pod being on a-pillar. I have one, and have had one for quite some time. Last January, I had a pretty bad accident where all front airbags deployed, and the gauge went nowhere and there was not an issue. The airbag deploys from the top down, and only comes about halfway down the pillar, nowhere close to the pod assembly. There were pics of this on Vortex quite some time ago that someone took of a car with deployed a-pillar bags w/ a pod on there, and you can clearly see that the pod doesn't interfer in the least with the airbags.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have seen the pics on vortex. no interference at all.(just for some more confidence)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts