VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I removed those idiotic factory pinstripes from my jetta. I simply used water and it did make it easier to remove however, I now have that adhesive line leftover on both sides of my car. I basically removed the pinstripes and ended up with adhesive ones

Is there anything any of you could recommend to remove these, without having to buff 'em?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EvilKernel:
Last night I removed those idiotic factory pinstripes from my jetta. I simply used water and it did make it easier to remove however, I now have that adhesive line leftover on both sides of my car. I basically removed the pinstripes and ended up with adhesive ones

Is there anything any of you could recommend to remove these, without having to buff 'em?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As soon as you can before dirt and debris get stuck in that stuff go to the local auto parts store and buy a spray can of 3M Adhesive and Tar remover. This is made for your paint, so it won't hurt it as long as you wash and wax the area it touched immediately afterwards. This stuff will work guaranteed, let it sit on there for 5 minutes and then wipe and it will all come off. If you wait too long to remove the adhesive, dirt will get in it, and when you wipe it, it will scratch the paint and make your car look like crap. This is how I did mine when I removed the stripes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Big Dong. I guess this probably works like GooGone but safer. Beats the hell out of using my dremel!

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EvilKernel:
Thanks Big Dong. I guess this probably works like GooGone but safer. Beats the hell out of using my dremel!

Thanks again
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would personally stay away from GooGone. I know many people have used it successfully, but it is not made specifically for paint and the 3m stuff is. Good Luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me just say that removing his adhesive was THE Biggest pain in the ass EVER!

I too used the 3M adhesive remover (thanks Big Dong) but it's not as easy as spraying and wipe. It took me 2 hours to get this done (I think they used crazy glue on mine

Thanks everyone for your help

[ July 11, 2003: Message edited by: EvilKernel ]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice work!

Next time (hopefully not for a very long time) see if the 3M remover in the bottle/can works better then the spray. I found that easier to work with and it didn't evaporate as fast.

Glad to hear it worked out.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
I would personally stay away from GooGone. I know many people have used it successfully, but it is not made specifically for paint and the 3m stuff is. Good Luck!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the GooGone I used was made especially for paint.

Doesn't matter if it is GooGone or 3M adhesive remover, you should clean the area before use it. Then clean the crap out of that spot afterwards and finish up with a wax if you want to be safe.

There is no save adhesive remover out there. Try leaving 3M remover on your car and not wash it off. See what happens.

So use your head and use these products wisely.

You can also use Engine Degreaser. Hahaha. Just Kidding. Although it would take the shit off (all of it including paint.
)

[ July 13, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts