VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a motor i just ripped apart. i was wondering what pistons should i put back in it?? Cast or Forged. i heard forged is good if you want to use NOS(big shot) or turbo, but when you start the car it sounds like a diesal truck and got to check the oil alot. I'm thinking Cast but in the future i want to run NOS (little shot), My friends say build the motor the right way and put forged but i'm leaning to the cast.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
People always talk crap about forged pistons... about noise and expansion. Usually it's because they're cheap asses, or they sell cast pistons. The is no substitute for a good forged piston if you're building something crazy.

But the stock VW cast piston will take one hell of a beating from nitrous. My friend ran an 80 shot on a high mile stock motor for a long time... beating the crap out of it. It never let go.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's so cool! i should just run cast if it will take a 80 shot. What motor was he running??

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
It was either a 1.7L or a 1.8L JH code. It doesn't run as good as it used to, but he's beat the hell out of it. The point is, it still runs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts