VW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No one was harmed in this accident. Not even a scratch.

There's a lot of she said he said on the internet. Tons of it, a lot of what people "learn" on the internet is from things most people haven't even completely figured out yet. This is pretty rampant!(Everyone including myself does it) If you want to really learn things accurately you pretty much have to rely on reliable sources like books, because generally people who have no idea what they are talking about won't write a book about it.

Anyway enough of that. There's a lot of questions about how practical, durable, etc is plasti-dip. Why would you spend money to spray your car panels for whatever your reason is, just to find them falling apart the next week.
Here is my personal experience of the stuff, pictures and hard evidence.

Going to start with cleaning it. It is difficult to clean, just not worth beyond rinsing it off. So if you want a clean looking flat/semi flat black, look into paint. It'll be expensive and hard to keep clean no matter what if you want flat. And plasti dip just isn't the way if you are anal about appearance.

Second thing I'll bring up, wheels. Yes it does stick to wheels. You'll probably get half a year out of them with barely any prep work so long as you don't curb. They will last through snow and car washes then it will barely peel and show a bit in the long run, a 50 cent respray will put them back as they were. Wheels are moving a lot on a car and take a beating so of course they will start to deteriorate.

If you're going to do body pannels, go ahead and do it. It's going to stay on. It is quite durable if you're asking.
It looks pretty decent but it's no paint. It will protect the paint under it.

Here's a testimate to it's durability. My brother plasti-dipped his truck and it came out great.

Not too shabby, the truck wasn't even washed and it sticks.... worked just fine, though I don't recommend that.

It was slushy and slippery on the roads this morning and my brother got into a situation where he lost control of the truck and flipped it. He is okay as it was a very minor and slow roll. Drive safe guys!

Here is the truck in the same spot. Take a look at the bent in fender and roof. The color under is red/maroon. The plasti-dip took impact of rolling over and bending metal without showing wear.

Here's some shown where the plasti dip was compromised! you can see red under, not shiny metal. It protected the paint. However the inside of the corner from it splitting open obviously shows some metal.

Here too, notice the completely bent inward truck bed fender. Still covered by plasti-dip and the only part that broke open and shows paint, the paint is cherry red no damage!

Here's the truck being winched out of the ditch, 30ish feet from the road downhill a good 10 feet.

If this stuff can stand up to a roll over, between the ground and 5500 pounds of metal, it will stand up to whatever you're going to put it through in a daily drive. Spray away and drive safe folks.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
I don't think anyone ever said its not durable. I know when I had my bike sprayed it held up to rock chips great. The truck looks like its still straight. Door gaps, and bed to cab gap looks fine. Bang out the roof and run it.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I seen a lot of people talk about it on other fourms and area of the web when my brother was debating doing it. Say it's a waste and you'll have to respray it all the time unless you thin it out with some kit yada yada.

Found a complete cab already for 250 with no rust, going to drop that on it as an upgrade and grab fenders from a junk yard. Truck is straight still. Zero frame damage.

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
I have to go to the store tonight and pick some up. I have a crappy bumper cover and stock lip i am running this winter and it is dark blue. I fugured i would plasti-dip it in my old garage since it is empty and have it flat black (ish). At least it would look better than the blue.

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
I hit a cat at like 80 mph and it chipped the paint on my front bumper I plastidipped the evo mod till I decided to do a respray on the srt and it held up like a champ

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Plasti-dipped my hard hat just now. Lol. Still dark out and I have to walk down a busy road to my job site. Figured I would spray it real quick. Getting paid to plasti-dip.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if it makes a decent phone case. 100 cases a can hard to beat the price.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
i dipped my cell phone case a while back the first time i got plastidip lol. it peeled off easily but probably because i only did one thick coat.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Hmmm...
Plasti-dip is good for protection...
Wonder if it burns if applied to a sensitive area of the body???.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had my rims plasti dipped, went to park up against a curb at a friends house and scraped up against the curb. Didn't do anything other than scuff them but the marks just rubbed off.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hear these testimonials

Bill: Before I used to just say that I was black from the waist down. But with the dipmydick bad joke pack I can prove it too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts