VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a spare set of headlights for a joey mod. I am now done with them and notice that the lens looks pretty sh!tty. Do any of you have any experience with a plastic polish/buffer like Meguairs stuff?

[ February 11, 2004: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've never used the Meguire's plastic polish, nor have I ever attemped to polish out a VW headlamp. I have, however, used Novus & Blue Coral plastic polishes on Volvo headlamps as well as convertible top windows on old MGs & Truimphs. They both worked reasonably well on light surface scratches on plastic.

·
Registered
777 Posts
can you use that stuff they've been selling on TV for glasses lenses? its like 19.99 but i think its enough for 2 headlights....

·
Registered
18 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
I recently bought a spare set of headlights for a joey mod. I am now done with them and notice that the lens looks pretty sh!tty. Do any of you have any experience with a plastic polish/buffer like Meguairs stuff?

[ February 11, 2004: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Keep in mind, Meguiars is a two-step product: Clear plastic cleaner, which is great on VW lights, and Clear plastic polish, which is also good. Use the cleaner with a random-orbit buffer not to burn the Lexan, and apply polich by hand aterwards. Cleaner is really a microfinishing compound, but it is extremely fine grit. Polish is to be used ~every week to keep up with the oxidation. I beleive they both are around $5.99 or so. There is always money-back guarantee. Try it.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I have used novus. I think they come in different steps (different "grits"). you go with step 4, then 3, 2, 1. I think it was novus at least. We got some samples (a a pouch) at the place I used to work for. works well on plastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts