VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
POSTED THIS ON THE GENERAL FORUM, BUT MIGHT BE MORE APPROPRIATE HERE (SORRY IF YOU ARE SEEING FOR THE SECOND TIME!)

I really would be interested in what you guys think about this and I am posting this as a warning to anyone considering buying a volkswagen.
I have a 1998 beetle. Since I bought this car it has been nothing but trouble. The car battery dies after the car sits for 4 days (new battery).
BUT, The latest is that the battery drains after 2 days of not driving it. Took it to the dealer and they are telling me that they found loose wiring (over $200 to repair). The day I was supposed to pick the car up the dealer calls back and says that the comfort control module (even though it still works and I have not had issues) has been damaged and this repair is over $400. This is in addition to a $100 repair for the window. Also the bulbs are out yet again (probably $80).

In 2003 I spent close to a 1000 dollars on this car. Just so you know I took the car in at the end of 2003 for a tune up ($550 for that and problems with the bulbs and vacuum lines). I do not understand why these problems were not found until now. I have been asking them to figure out this problem since 2002 (have the invoice to prove it).

This is only March of 2004 and I am looking at over 900 dollars already. I called Volkswagen customer care and their response was basically like it or lump it.

Please take my story for what it is and if you need any additional details I will be more than happy to provide them (I have most of the invoices).

At this point I feel my only recourse is to get rid of this car and with all this shoddy treatment I am not getting another volkwagen ever again and I would like to warn everyone considering a volkwagen.

I really hope all you guys have had better luck with your cars.
Thanks

Follow-up: Thank you all for your suggestions. I really do appreciate them.
But I would like to clarify a few things. I have been to 4 different dealers with this car (in 2 very different cities). I do understand things happen with a car, but I did buy the car because I assumed that volkswagen would stand behind their product. I have contacted them repeatedly about these problems and the company is not interested.

I have learned some valuable lessons from this experience and I just want people to know. Is my case rare? I am sure it is and unfortunately this had to be my bad luck with my car, but if one other person can benefit even a little bit from my experience I will be happy.

I am really happy for everyone that loves their car and I hope they continue to be happy.

Thanks again for listening (I apologize to the people who feel my post is inappropriate, but I have found vwforum to be helpful in the past when needing info).

And in the interest of telling the truth I seriously doubt I will be able to get over this and try another volkwagen. I have found the dealers and the company to be lacking (to put it as nicely as I can).

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
im glad u posted that nicely, i understand that all cars have problems, and vw's do have their share of them and sorry to hear you have had such bad expierance with the dealers, i wish ya the best of luck with everything and keep us posted on everthing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sorry to hear the despare that you are having. i worked for a dealership for seven years in new orleans and have seen little problems in the beetle. i have two passat's and love them. i hope that this experience does not hinder you from vw, they are great cars!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
dude there is nuthing in the world that could turn me off to vw. They are in my mind some of the best engineered cars in the world. They have there quirks but name me a car that doesnt and besides everyone here knows what it usually is anyway. Nuff said.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by irate:
Yes, the only vw I have owned and probably will ever own.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry to hear u feel that way..
how bout u try something other than a beetle?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I don't blame you for not wanting another one. If my cars hadn't been so good, the VW dealership experience would have definately turned me off to the company. I hate that they treat me like Im retarded every time I bring my car in, and then they wont be straightforward about stuff.....

I wish the dealerships had the same quality as I have experienced with my car.

Anyways, i hope you have better luck with your next car, and maybe someday you can find it in your heart to forgive VW.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like to work on my own dub for the fact i know whats gone on. I hate it when other people work on my ride unless im wrenchin right beside them. On top of that vw dealerships mark up prices quite a bit compared to prices ive gotten from mom and pop type vdubs shops. I dont trust dealerships

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As fli gti said and just so you all understand I do not hate my car, but between the dealer(s) and customer care I am beyond disgusted. Do I think that it will be better with another company? Somehow, I seriously doubt it. Every industry has its quirks and I am not asking for the moon it would have been really easy for customer care to resolve this and then I would not have felt the need to make this post.

The impression I get is that they feel as if they have so many customers that they could care less if a certain percentage is dissatisfied.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dont go and buy a brand new dub again then. Find an 87-92 16v gti or jetta gtx for that matter and you will be more satisfied as to maintenance and performance. If that doesnt turn yur crank than buy a honda. hehehe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts