VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past few weeks I have this noise coming from front end. Usually when I start backing out my driveway in the morning or when I take off after a day at work. Wheels are turned a little and taking off from being parked all day or night????

I was thinking it could be a strut bushing or a ball joint??? I just found a Recall online about certain 2000-2001 golfs, they might have broken welds in their control arms. So Im leaning towards that more and more. Will have to get under there tomorrow and check the Control arm.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
It could also be your brake bad getting stuck to the rotor. I had similar problem on my dub in the rear left wheel. Changed my pads and the problem disappeared.

However if there is a recall on anything in your car I would def. go to the dealer right away and have that recall completed, if you still have that problem inspect the brakes.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Possibly a strut mount/bearing. Try slowly turning the steering wheels as far right as you can,m and as far left as you can. If you hear that noise, it's quite possibly the strut mount.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
But that would be a constant click/pop even throughout the drive, Brett. He mentioned it only does it the first time he gets into the car.

·
Registered
777 Posts
i have the same problem, it only happens like once, i think im with thomas on this one, feels a bit like a stuck brake pad, also i noticed it only does it when my e-break has been on so it might just be it releasing as well....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same noise while backing and turning. As I back up a noticeable clunk can be heard from the front end. It almost sounds like it's an upper strut mounts but wouldn't a bad strut mount also clank over each bump? It's def suspension related. Could it be the pivot bushings on the sway bar?

any help is much apprecitated

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
The front sway bar doesn't really do all that much on that car, I doubt it's the sway bar end links. Try the strut mount, requires a few hours of work and about 50 bucks.

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
Mine did this last week and the car lot i bought my jetta rewelded the transmission mount and it broke loose
I am guessing your mount is loose or worse.
Pop the hood and move your motor back and forth and if it moves easily its the mount.

·
Registered
316 Posts
if its constant look at ur cv boots

1 - 10 of 10 Posts