VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I stumbled upon an 01 Golf GTI. I checked it out today with a friend and we came across some problems. I figured the best place to get the answers would be here, hopefully! The car has some things already done to it from the previous owner. We noticed the speedometer wasn't moving at all. The owner of the lot had no idea what we were talking about saying that it worked just earlier that day. Is that a common thing for it not to work? Is it a huge issue fixing it?(I know it could be a number of things.) The previous owner put a large turbo into the car with a blow off valve. The boost started working at first but randomly, I believe after I turned the a/c on, the boost was cut. The lot owner also said that this was because the a/c was turned on and that the turbo needs power. Question is, is that true that the turbo boost will stop if the a/c is on? I believe it was boost around 15-20 psi by the way. The clutch may off been a little soft but I think that is normal. Finally, the gear box seemed very loose. Neither of us could tell when it went into reverse because it had no delay in being able to switch into reverse. While in gear, the stick moves around ever so easily and more so than supposed to, I think? Is that normal with these cars? I hope someone can help me out. I never thought I would want one of these cars but I admit it was love at first sight. I can post some pictures later if anyone is interested. Please someone help me out!

thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Strut bushing are worn out to the max. Rear axle bushing are probably also done. What ever he's talking about is complete bullshit. AC shouldn't kill your boost what so ever. It might be the flapper valve or the turbo is on its way out. You should get rid of the blow off valve, that'll cause issues with the ECU fuel management. One of the sensor is either busted or the cluster is all screwed up to prevent speedo reading. The coolant bottle looks like its going to crack anytime soon. Give the guy a super dirt cheap price and fix it. I would pay no more than a grand or less for that thing.

Drive it hard and buy a cheap scanner. Who cares what the owner. Your job is to find the problems the owner is trying to hide. The car sounds pretty screwed up form what you told us and even more so from the pictures.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Walk away from that hack job.
Owner is full of shit.
Car looks like it was built off of ebay parts.
Engine bay is a mess, and a hack job.
Poorly executed project.
Stay away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I have no choice but to avoid it now. I'll look into a stock GTI and go from there so I at least know what the hell is going on. Thanks for the replies!

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Then don't crash.

That car is such a joke. "it worked just fine the other day" please, if he can't be honest about a damn gauge who knows what's going on with the rest of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a detachable steering wheel, which I'm sure you know. I thought it looked cool, but I do want to live if I crashed ��
I believe the repairs would be more than what the car is worth, sadly. I like the color and it saves me the trouble of having to turbo it, for however long this one will even survive.
Either way, I'm just gonna keep searching. I know little to none about gti's but for some reason, I want one��

1 - 10 of 10 Posts