VW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post on here. I work at Ultimate Z, a Nissan/Datsun/Infinity oriented tuning shop near Chicago, and we have a customer with a Jetta who's interested in turbocharging it. Since I'm a Nissan expert, and I can admit that I don't know much about VW's, I came here to get some help. Are there any kits available to do this modification or is it going to require custom fabrication? He's interested in HKS GT series, if there are any available, but I don't know of any kits offered by HKS. Any input is welcome. Thanks ahead of time.
And I'm sorry if this is something covered daily, I just feel that this instance is unique since have turbocharging experience, and are capable of doing the work (unlike many who probably ask), but we've never done it to this particular car.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
What year is his 2.0? Is it a MK4? If so then i would say get the Neuspeed S/C. Let us know what year it is and that will help us narrow what to look for.
thanks
jon

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
What Year is the car?
Either way I would turbo it, neuspeed SC's provide crappy gains for the money they cost. ATP will be your biggest help, they have partial turbo kits for both the mk3 and mk4 2.0l's.
For mk3: ATP's kit gives
1993-1998 Golf/Jetta/GTI MKIII 2.0L 8V
200HP
$2750
For Mk4:
1999-2002 Golf/Jetta/GTI MKIV 2.0L 8V

175HP
$2150
or
200HP
$2950

They use Garret turbos. If the customer is set on using an HKS turbo, ATP also sells the random parts indivudually, like the exhaust manifold, the IC piping kits, ect.. If you can give us the year of his car we can prodive you with more case specific information.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
all mk4's have the same 2.0l engine.

As stated before, ATP is your best bet, everyone in VW/Audi tuning has heard of them before and many people use and love their products. They are knows for great customer service, give them a call and they should be of some help.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Out of all the people that have turbocharged the 2.0, ATP seems to have the best rep out of all of them. I know a few guys who run ATP setups on their 2.0s, and although they require some tuning to get right, once they're on, its tire roasting time.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Do me a favor...trade in your car and get a 1.8T
!!!!

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTI 1.8T:
Do me a favor...trade in your car and get a 1.8T
!!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you even take the time to read his post?

·
Registered
36 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Did you even take the time to read his post?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> yeah really!

Does anyone know somewhere that does this kind of work in Oregon?

[ February 22, 2004: Message edited by: drnkmidgetsNvwS ]

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drnkmidgetsNvwS:
Originally posted by 98a4:
[qb]Did you even take the time to read his post?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> yeah really!

Does anyone know somewhere that does this kind of work in Oregon?

[ February 22, 2004: Message edited by: drnkmidgetsNvwS ][/QB]
Geez, i was out there last week and i wish i knew what road i was on because i saw a Euro-car shop just north of the city going towards beverton. If i remember what road i was on i'll let you know.
jon

·
Registered
36 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
Geez, i was out there last week and i wish i knew what road i was on because i saw a Euro-car shop just north of the city going towards beverton. If i remember what road i was on i'll let you know.
jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Cool at least thats a place for me to start. Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
trade in for a 1.8t? Then you will be like everyone else. 2.0 may not be as easy to get the power out of but I like to be different.

[ February 22, 2004: Message edited by: boostedbora ]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverstoneGTI:
send him to DubWerks at libertyville, IL. where the pros are.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've got 10 years experience turbocharging non-turbo Z's, and (no offense), but the VG30DETT is a much more complicated engine than the VW 2.0. I'm confident we'll be able to do it, I just wanted some insight into available kits.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll give ATP a call Monday.

And GTI 1.8T, as they already pointed out, it's a customers car. My car is a 600 rwhp Twin Turbo Z, I'm not about to trade it for a 1.8T

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZLover4Life:
My car is a 600 rwhp Twin Turbo Z, I'm not about to trade it for a 1.8T
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man am I jealous! Good luck with the turbo - from everything I've read ATP is a good choice. Perhaps trying to get the parts on your own and kind of using the ATP kit as a guide might save you some cash (or in this case make yourself more cash by saving). This is a suggestion I have been given if I ever TC my VR.

[ February 23, 2004: Message edited by: Tommunist ]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm partial to HKS turbos myself (twin GT2530's on my TTZ), so I was hoping that I could find an HKS kit for the Jetta, but it doesn't exist. Depending on compression and the complexity of the kit, I might just have our fabrication shop make all the piping and mounting hardware, order a GT2835 (or GT3037S if I decide the engine can spool it), and go about it that way. I don't know how serious this customer is though, because to make turbo that size effective, we'd want to do forged (lower compression) pistons, different gaskets, and port/polish everything so it can breathe good. If this guy just wants a bolt on kit, the ATP kit might be his best option compared to the high power HKS ball bearing turbos =/

Thanks for the help guys!

oh yeah, if any of you were wondering about my car... (first link is Cardomain, second is my profile on TwinTurbo.net) http://www.cardomain.com/id/zlover4life http://www.twinturbo.net/net/directory.aspx?forum=general&user_id=37657

[ February 23, 2004: Message edited by: ZLover4Life ]

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
To give you an idea man, popular upgrade turbos for the VW/Audi 1.8T 4cyl (Golf, Jetta, Beetle, TT, A4) and the 2.7T in Audi S4 and A6 cars:

KKK (now Borg Warner) KO4
KKK KO5
PES Tuning T-28 (believe its a Garrett)
APR Stage 3 (Garrett also)

I don't know for sure if a 2.0 will spool up a large turbo, cause I mostly deal with NA performance, but I do know that people run the above turbos on VW's 1.8T 20V 4 cylinder and gain much power from them.

[ February 23, 2004: Message edited by: GTIVR62801 ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts