VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just sold my Passat VR6 to buy a 2002 GTI 1.8 T. I wanted to see if anyone knows of any problem areas on this car or the Turbo engine that I should be aware of. My last car had the VR6, so I am completely in the dark with regards to the turbo engine - for instance, do you need to let the turbo idle down before shutting the engine off as you do for the WRX, etc. etc.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
You don't have to let the turbo drain out if you are driving it hard, like you do for the WRX, but it is a good idea to do so.

The two other things to consider is that you have to use better grade gas and since you did say 2002 and not 2003, theres the whole coil pack situation on the 1.8T engines so you'd need to find out when the car was produced. You'll find tons more info on the coil packs if you do a search for them right here on the forum.

I hope that helped.

[ April 02, 2003: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
You don't have to let the turbo drain out if you are driving it hard, like you do for the WRX, but it is a good idea to do so.

The only other differences I see is that you have to use better grade gas. Then theres the whole coil situation on the 1.8T engines but I believe that all newly produced dubs have the new and improved coils.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 2002's still have the coilpack problem. They have not been recalled, but they do have a service action for them. That means that you can't bring it to the dealer to be fixed whenever you want, but when it does break, they will pay whether you are still under warranty or not.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Posted by Brett,
The 2002's still have the coilpack problem. They have not been recalled, but they do have a service action for them. That means that you can't bring it to the dealer to be fixed whenever you want, but when it does break, they will pay whether you are still under warranty or not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I misread, SUE ME! hehe. I was editing my post as you were posting!

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by volavet:
Hi,
for instance, do you need to let the turbo idle down before shutting the engine off as you do for the WRX, etc. etc.
Thanks in advance Dan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I understand, you should let the turbo cool down for a few minutes before you pull your key from the ignition. That is what I understand for all turbo cars- 1.8T or even TDI--the tdi is still turbo. hope this info is correct.

·
Registered
158 Posts
WELCOME TO THE 1.8T CLUB-

nothing against this forum, but you will find gobs of info here--- 20VTURBO

1.8t problems seems to be non year or vehicle specific, some have them others don't. But one thing for sure we love our snails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts