VW Forum banner

Problem with 2003 Jetta 2.0

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  UTMKIv 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello!
I recently changed the oxygen sensor, thermostat, coolant sensor, ignition coil, and coil wires in order to get my 2003 Jetta 2.0 through emissions.

Yesterday, my husband drove about 5 minutes down the road and the temperature gauge shot up to 260, and the indicator light that the car was overheating began blinking. The check engine light then came on, but was not blinking. The car is showing no signs that it is actually overheating; there are no funny smells, the car is not sluggish, and there are no visible signs or leaks anywhere. The car is running a little roughly, but it's kind of always done that.

We checked the antifreeze level and it's fine, and let the car idle in the driveway for about a half hour. The gauge stayed at 190 where it belongs. We checked the codes and it's throwing a P0116 Engine coolant, temperature circuit range/performance.

The couple times I've driven it since then I've found that it's fine until I accelerate over 45 mph, and then the gauge shoots up. Since we've already changed the thermostat and the coolant sensor, does anyone have any idea what else the problem could be? The code for those two was the P2181 Coolant System Performance, so it's throwing a new code.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks! :)

*5/18/2010*

It started leaking antifreeze last night. My husband noticed it on the ground this morning and he checked the reservoir and the level has gone down.

My brother in law thinks it might be the head gasket, which from what I understand is a really expensive repair job, and I don't have a lot of money. Could it possibly be a loose hose or something? What would cause it to suddenly start leaking so much?

See less See more
#4 ·
Either air in coolant system or possibly a bad coolant temp sensor. Is the new sensor a green top? Try running the car with you surge tank lid open. Surge tank is your coolant resavoir. Let the car run till it gets to temp to allow any air pockets to purge out thru the surge tank.

#5 ·
Waterpump impeller is going bad, when the engine is turning the pump at a certain speed it doesn't move enough coolant through the block to cool it properly, but at idle it runs enough to keep it at 190.

Replace waterpump, timing belt, serpentine belt and all tensioners/rollers.

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.