VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there experience a problem with the Jetta GLI yet? There are a couple of us up in Toronto, Canada that are have a problem. Mine happened with only 8000 kms (5000 Miles).

The car drives and runs fine, but after the car's warmed up...say 30 minutes or so....the car doesn't like to start. You can start it but you have the hold the ignition in the on position for up to 20 seconds. The day I brought mine in....I had to hold the key for almost a minute before the engine caught.
Now if you get the car running....it's fine.
My dealer up here's got 3 in the shop and they're stumped. They've had mine for 3 weeks and I'm driving their 4 cyl. Jetta Courtesy Car. Pathetic, no power.
I'm getting pissed at their excuses....they've actually said "We're stumped...we called Germany."
Any body out there have any ideas or heard of people having this problem with the new VR6??

·
Registered
167 Posts
i have the 02' VR6 GTI and have not had a problem at all. Its been pretty cold here and it starts right up in the morning. I have 6500 miles on my car.

grrr....i hope i don't have the problem now

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: sleepyhead ]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You won't have a real problem with the cold starts as far as I know.....it only shows up when the car is warm.

Here's to hoping you don't get the same problem as me....I'm hurting...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here but does it make a weird clicking noise (like a relay) when you try to turn it over??? If it does I might know your problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It did the one morning before I brought it in....but then I haven't had my car back in a month.

What do you think it is?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I heard that line before "we called germany" that was 5 months ago. No answer, as far as my money they owe me. $140 for a replaced O2 Sensor which was clearly a recall.

PS: I had my relay replaced already (I think a totally different one from yours
), so I would tell them to simply replace yours too.
My problem was that the "emergency lights" would just simply stop (while being on) and light up like parking lights. They replaced the relay, which now sounds like a freakin Mercedes (LOUD) each time I have the blinker on.

·
Registered
830 Posts
This is what I was told by the dealership. They said it was a relay that will kill the starter when the battery voltage drops below a certain voltage. Mine did this once because I was listening to my stock stereo for a long time without the car running. Could be a possibility, something to look in to

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all....thanks for the replies.
Just got the call...getting the car back tomorrow. NOW LET THE FIGHT BEGIN...

I'm going after VW for the month's payment and insurance that I paid on mine while I was driving their courtesy car (which costs half of what mine does, but whatever
)

What do you guys think what should I ask for...four weeks without my car. I mean, I only had it for four months before this.

Sidenote: Andy I wish I could grab those rims but just dropped large cash on 16" winter rims/tires
Nippon
sorry is that the brand name?

·
Registered
6 Posts
you should at least get a full detail, wax, and a lube out of that mess... when they give your baby back tell us what they figured. a buddy of mine said it is a different computer and added that he dont like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey all,

Sorry for the late reply.....I was on Christmas vacation.

JUST got the car back on Dec. 31! So officially it was gone from Nov.12th to Dec. 31st.

In the end they say the problem was.......in the software of the computer. It wasn't drawing enough air when it was warm. Never thought to try that first I guess.

I signed off on the list of part changes... it was 5 pages long! I've pretty much got a new engine in there. Brilliant job of problem detection! I'll type out the list later if I have time....it's kinda unbelivable.

As for compensation so far...They went and picked up the Pirelli winter tire/rim package at another dealer that I had bought and installed it for free.
But I'm still going to go after VW USA/Canada for the two payments I made while driving their courtesy car.

So far NO problems but it is winter up here so the car can get cold real fast after it's turned off. Loving the winter tires though...although very ugly. My dealer has told me that I'll need to come in again in about 3 months for another software upgrade from the factory.

Thanks to all you guys for the support!

Sidenote....the parts guy at the other dealer I bought my winter tire/rim package at told a couple weeks after this ordeal started that my dealer should check the computer. I never listened to him.
Who knew? He was right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts