VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I'm a newbie here and hope someone can provide me with some advice regarding a problem I have with a 1997 VW Polo 1.0 .
Basically at 40 mph, a booming noise becomes noticeable. After about 50 mph, this largely diminishes.

If the car is stationary, it can be revved up and there is no occurence of this noise, so it's not the engine. When moving, regardless of what gear is being used, the noise only seems to occur between 40 & 50 mph so I doubt it is transmission related.

I think this only leaves the tyres, which I have ensured are correctly inflated or some form of reasonance.

Anybody suffered the same ?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I would definately check the tires, man. I am a VW Technician here in the states. Unfortunately we don't get the Polo here, though it is mechanically similar to the Golf.

Have you hit any large road hazards lately? How old are the tires? How many miles are on the car?

Also, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Booming noise? sometimes I hear what could be called a booming noise when I drive with the moonroof open and the windows shut..It's either that or like Carson said, check the tires for abnormal wear patterns..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response & the welcome guys.

Both front tyres were replaced in June 2002 at whch point the car had 32K on the clock. It's now got 42K, but because we didn't have it from new, I don't know when the rears were last replaced so I guess that could be the problem. I'll give them a thorough check tomorrow.

Chris

·
Registered
573 Posts
With every used car our family has purchased, we've replaced all four tires at one time whenever there's a problem or time for change. Keeps everything balanced and started off at square one, and also makes sure the tires are evenly worn. Give the brake assembly a glance and see if the noise could be coming from there. Good luck!

[ March 19, 2004: Message edited by: TruBluJettaMK2 ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts