VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I recently purchased 2 pairs of Alpine SPS-600C speakers to install in my '04 Golf. Here's the link to the speakers: Alpine SPS-600C Type-S 6-3/4" component speaker system — fits in 6-1/2" or 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com. Everything else in the audio system is the stock monsoon stuff. I've blown out the two rear speakers, so I figured I'd just go ahead and replace all the speakers in the car. While I get the basic stuff I'm going to be doing, and mostly how to do it, from some personal research I've gotten confused on the installation. I know how to take the door off, put in the speaker, etc. My questions are mainly electrical. BTW, first time doing anything like this so I'm a total n00b...

1) What issues am I going to have installing component speakers? Is the wiring going to be simple? or is there stuff I'm going to have to add on/modify?

2) I thought I saw somewhere that the stock front speakers are 4 ohm and the stock rear are 2 ohm? Is this correct? And if so, what problems will I have installing 4 ohm speakers in the rear?

3) Is there anything else I haven't thought of and problems that I'll most likely see?

Any and all advice and tips are more than appreciated! Especially if you've personally replaced your speakers with components! And if you know of any DIY guides online on this sort of stuff, send it my way too (I've already looked at a bunch but I'm hoping there's some I missed with more info)Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
dont forget you have the tweeters to deal with... and its simple i put some rockfords in mine they had tweeter hook ups

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok, so i was wondering if it was going to be a plug and play type deal. to be a little more specific, will i be plugging the wires from the new speakers into the amp in the car? or am i going to be connecting the old wires to the new wires/speaker?

and yep i know i got the tweeters to deal with. do you happen to know off hand what the size of the stock tweeters are? i know the alpines are 1". EDIT: found out stock tweeters are 1" in front and 1/2" in back.

also, if anyone is interested, i'd be willing to take pictures of the whole process for reference for others if there is interest!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also, i know i'm supposed to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery before i do any work to avoid shorts and getting shocked. but i've heard on some cars that when you reconnect the battery after finishing you have to enter some code into the car's computer to get it work again? is this the case with vw's? or do i not have anything to worry about there either?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I've installed the exact same speakers all around in my car, and it's a PITA. First off the door panels are a bitch, the back of the inner handle pops off and there is a screw under there. Also use a pick, not a flat head or you will scratch and brake shit. Everything else for the door panels is pretty straight forward. The stock speakers have pop rivets so you will need a drill to get them out. The wiring is simple positive to positive, negative to negative. You will not have to disconnect the battery ether as there is no currant going to the speakers what so ever. As for mounting the tweeters, plumber strap will be the cleanest and easiest option, however my cheap ass used duct tape :( As for the rears not being 2 ohm...I don't think this will cause a problem, but you will probably get less power out of them (I had an Alpine amp installed already). That pretty much sums it up. I would recommend getting a 4 channel amp to replace that monsoon amp asap. I hope this helps

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've installed the exact same speakers all around in my car, and it's a PITA. First off the door panels are a bitch, the back of the inner handle pops off and there is a screw under there. Also use a pick, not a flat head or you will scratch and brake shit. Everything else for the door panels is pretty straight forward. The stock speakers have pop rivets so you will need a drill to get them out. The wiring is simple positive to positive, negative to negative. You will not have to disconnect the battery ether as there is no currant going to the speakers what so ever. As for mounting the tweeters, plumber strap will be the cleanest and easiest option, however my cheap ass used duct tape :( As for the rears not being 2 ohm...I don't think this will cause a problem, but you will probably get less power out of them (I had an Alpine amp installed already). That pretty much sums it up. I would recommend getting a 4 channel amp to replace that monsoon amp asap. I hope this helps
1.8turbooo thanks, you answered a few of my questions, but brought up a few more lol. and that makes sense about not having to disconnect the battery...

plumber strap? how would you recommend attaching the tweeters using it? do i secure the tweeter to the door panel with it? or do i secure the tweeter to the actual door body? haven't seen any info on that yet and i was kind of planning on just winging it...

second, how do you like the sound of the speakers in your car? what kind of amp do you have and do you have a sub? i've been debating whether or not to get a sub, but i figured i'd decide that after i hear the speakers first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one more thing, has anyone removed the factory speaker grills? is it hard to do? it would be sweet to have the speakers with the alpine grills on them.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
You attach the tweeter to the door panel. They sound great, Best bang for your buck. I have an Alpine MRV-F305 v12 expert (best amps Alpine ever made). No I don't have a sub, I have 4 subs :p 1 good sub with a nice box to spec is enough for most people though, 2 is enough for others. Personally I don't think there is such a thing as enough nor too much. Also you can not use the alpine grilles. The speaker sits deep inside the door, also would look like ass anyways.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You attach the tweeter to the door panel. They sound great, Best bang for your buck. I have an Alpine MRV-F305 v12 expert (best amps Alpine ever made). No I don't have a sub, I have 4 subs :p 1 good sub with a nice box to spec is enough for most people though, 2 is enough for others. Personally I don't think there is such a thing as enough nor too much. Also you can not use the alpine grilles. The speaker sits deep inside the door, also would look like ass anyways.
turbo, i got a question for you. i just installed the speakers in the two rear doors, pretty much got everything good to go, but when i reattach the door, after attaching the wires and door handle cord, the doors are now doing this weird thing where you have to pull the handle twice in order to open the door. did you have this issue when you did the install, and if so how did you fix it? i'm pretty sure i reattached the cord the way it was in the first place, so i don't know whats up.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
The speaker wire from the tweeter to the woofer might be in the way, otherwise I don't know. One of my interior handles came loose awhile after the install. One day I'll fix it, but in till then, it's a rape door. :p You may have atatched it wrong to, I think there is 2 pieces that click in to the cable thing. How do they sound? did you only get those 2 done so far?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, i'll go back and double check the locks. i left the handles off, because thats easily the hardest step in the entire process by a long shot. idk why VW had to make those so difficult. and yep, finished the two rear doors yesterday, and am going to do the front two today. so far they sound good, lots of mid which i hadn't heard with my stock speakers. although, i am a little disappointed with the bass, i think the stock speakers go a little lower which seems odd. but whatever, i wouldn't mind having a new amp and sub :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ah that makes sense. oh well. so now here's the next step: should i just get a powered sub, and leave the stock amp? or should i get a 5 channel amp as well to power the speakers and a sub?

asking this because 5 channel amps look kinda expensive... just having a powered sub seems like a much cheaper option. also, i don't really want a massive sub because i need a lot of the space in my golf pretty regularly. any good recommendations for a good small sub? been looking at some tube subs, and some ones that would fit under a seat (hopefully).

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I'm not a fan of 5 channel amps, though there are some good ones out there (Soundstream, JL Audio, Memphis) I would go with a 4 channel and a mono amp separately. heres a box for you that takes absolutely no room at all:

Volkswagen Golf Stealthbox by JL Audio

Unfortunately That is the only box I know of, unless the MTX Thunderform box made for the Jetta fits?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i've seen the stealthbox before. unfortunately, its way more pricey than what i'm looking for. what about 4 channel amp + powered sub? think that would do the trick?

also, was talking with a friend about the back door handles having to be pulled twice, we think its a stock safety feature, so no worries there. but, now my passenger door won't unlock when i unlock the car via the keyfob. the little doorpin comes up, but you can't open the door from the outside until i click unlock on the driver door panel. thoughts?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
No to powered sub, they are garbage. I think your right about the safety feature. The same thing happened to me with the driver door, only that I wasn't able to unlock it from the inside or outside and had to pull the door panel up over the window sill. The wire from the tweeter was in the way. I duct taped that also...lol. What did you use to mount the tweeter?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah my plan is to take the door off and fool around with some stuff. we'll see how that works. but an update to that, even clicking unlock on the door panel doesn't work, i have to reach over and pull the door handle to open the door. we'll see what i can figure out.

for the tweeters, when i removed the little plastic part next to the mirror, there was the foam insert there, with a spot for the tweeter, i just stuck in in the mold for it, and popped the plastic back on. it was really easy actually, the foam holds it in place. no duct tape. what i did do is duct tape the tweeters to the back door panels, but i think i'm going to go back and glue those, i don't like the idea of those being taped on and gluing should be simple.

the more i drive, the more i think i need bass. gotta hold off on it though, gotta build up some funds.

and one last thing for this post, checked out the stock amp today in the rear of the car, noticed that there's some wires and a harness not plugged into anything at the top of the amp. was wondering what this is? my only thought is maybe they'd be used if i had an external CD changer? otherwise, there are two harnesses & wires plugged into the bottom of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts