VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my '97 Jetta GLS has 2 major problems. Hopefully there are 2 simple solutions...

1. After it rains heavy or I take it through a car wash, it has great difficulty starting and then runs very rough for a while. Seems worse when there is less than 1/4 tank of gas.

2. While driving, in any gear, if I stomp on the gas, the RPM's race but the car doesn't... Makes it very difficult to pass...

Any ideas about either one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
To the first questions, sounds like you need a new ignition coil. They run like 90 bucks and are easy to change. Second sounds like clutch, or tranny prob. My new trans fluid

·
Registered
153 Posts
as far as the first problem, i had the same problem when i had my mr2, when ur washing it/when it rains water is leaking into your coil most likely.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
1. Spray your ingition sysem (cap,wires,ect) with WD40 and you will never have the wet start problem again.

2. Def. a blown clutch....

Edit: WELCOME to VWF

[ March 05, 2004: Message edited by: 98a4 ]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand the coil issue, and thanks for the info.

I'm wondering about the clutch problem, though. I have 2 friends with '97 and '95 Golf and Jetta GLX, both automatic that have the same problem. Could this affect an automatic the same way?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
VW automatic tranny sucks. If isn't unlikely that their torque converters are going bad.
From the way you describe it, def sounds like a clutch to me.
Is there a certain RPM range when it beings to just rev? Around 4k?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i have to agree.... #2 is the clutch... no questions asked! your cluch is engauging and at higher engine speeds its slipping causing the engine to rev and no go! but since your going to have to replace it anyway.... go for a sport clutch and maybe a lightened flywheel... they will let the engine rev more freely

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any recommendations for such a sport clutch and flywheel? I may consider it, depending on cost compared to the stock stuff from a dealer...

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts