VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me start this of with I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CARS, this is my first project car

i beetle i bought stopped staring one day after i bought it, My father in law suggested it was the starter. So i bought a new starter, installed it today and it started just fine three times, on the way home i heard a funky sound come from under the car and now nothing it wont start again. Im getting power to the car, when i turn the key i my head lights work ect. there is alot of rust and old looking wires under the car, not sure if this may be the cause. Also when I was installing the starter that the hole starter goes in that the entire hole did not have teeth all the way around, is this normal, could that be another problem?

:confused:

someone please help

thank you

·
Registered
169 Posts
Do you hear the starter turning when you cycle the key or not? Did uou replace the starter bushing in the trans? Is 12 volts reaching the starter's terminal #50? It may be a problem with the ignition switch or resistance in the wiring between fuse panel and ignition switch terminal #30. I would suggest that you start troubleshooting by removing the ignition switch and check it for cracking. That's a very common problem with VW's.

Ainokea

·
Registered
16 Posts
A funky noise... Can you describe it? Whirring, clicking, rumbling, etc? Also location, I mean it probably came from the engine or transmission, but if the sound came from the front of the car, I think you have multiple (and possibly unrelated) problems there.

Now when you pulled the old starter out, did it look like the teeth had been chewed off, or where they just not there? If they weren't there you probably lost the pinion gear. Hopefully not between the engine and tranny. (I don't really see how it could, but I suppose I've seen weirder before.)

Or are you speaking of the flywheel inside the casing? In which case, no, there should not be teeth all the way around where the starter goes in, just on the side closest to the center of the engine. Again, this is your flywheel. (Assuming it's a manual, I am unfamiliar with automatic's for these vehicles.)

If you don't have a manual for the car, I suggest buying one, especially if this is a project. I've heard Bentley manuals are excellent, but I've never used one. I use a combination of Haynes (not-so-great) and a Book by John Muir (pretty good).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actaully took the starter out again put it on the ground and hooked it, the starter is good, but the flywheel is jammed, I can barely turn in from back side of the engine. Thinking im going to have to replace the flywheel.

Does that sound right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I actaully took the starter out again put it on the ground and hooked it, the starter is good, but the flywheel is jammed, I can barely turn in from back side of the engine. Thinking im going to have to replace the flywheel.

Does that sound right?
No, actually that doesn't sound right. :/ If the flywheel is jammed, that means the entire motor has seized (That's baaad juju dude). Can you turn the motor with a wrench on the generator or crankshaft pulleys? That'll tell you whether or not your engine has seized.

(If it has seized I'll let someone with more experience help you out there. I've never had to fix a seized VW, I dunno what even causes it honestly.)

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you can't turn the engine over by turning the 30mm crank pulleybolt with a wrench or socket and ratchet you might have 1. burned main bearing, 2. ran it out of oil. 3. exhaust valve head broke off from the valve stem. 4. Unless the flywheel came loose, it's not likely a flywheel problem.

Ainokea

1 - 7 of 7 Posts