VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone rolled their fenders, my buddys rented a machine last year and rolled all the cars but i missed out due to work, is there another way to roll or pound them out without damaging the fender or paint. i need wider tires uhg thanks

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I have been looking into the same thing, due to an upcoming projects needs. There are three ways we can go about this:

1. Tahe it to a body shop, and let them do it!

2. The baseball bat method:

-Jack up car in area of rolling, so that th bat will fit between the fender, and tire. (bat end must be wrapped with some sort of cushioning, cotton rag, towel, etc...)
-Heat up fender with heat gun, the hotter the fender/paint, the easier the job will be (and the les likely you will chip the paint)
-Insert bat into fender gap, angle against the tire, forcing the bat end up into the fender lip.
-Slowly roll, pushing the bat end along the fender lip. repeat until desired affect it accomplished.

(that is a basic description, note that I have never actually tried this)

3. Rent a rolling tool, and follow these instructions:

Rolling 1
Rolling 2

Other that the one site above, I am not sure we else a rolling machine can be rented, possibly a body shop.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I helped roll a friend's fenders on his 02 acura tl. We used the heat gun and rubber mallet method. It turned out really well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah id rent one but they cost a ton for the deposit and theres a waiting list. tire rack has one and lucky for me there building is only 30 min. away but the waiting list is over a year. im going to look more into the bat idea

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 220hp8v:
but the waiting list is over a year. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

over a year HAHAHA thats crazy.. u'd think they get another one with such a demand

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:
over a year HAHAHA thats crazy.. u'd think they get another one with such a demand<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking the same thing!

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
573 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverGolfCart:
I like the sounds of the bat method myself, my back tires are rubbing with 15's and I'm looking to go big in the spring.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rubbing with 15"s? How much did you lower your car? Perhaps lo-pro could be your next best friend when you decide to go big-ups on the wheels.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I Already have a 50 series tire. I think that I'll have to be very careful when choosing the off set on the new rims, or I'll have to bring it back up a little. Could also be rubbing because my struts are starting to wear out, I plan to replace them when I do the rims.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverGolfCart:
I Already have a 50 series tire. I think that I'll have to be very careful when choosing the off set on the new rims, or I'll have to bring it back up a little. Could also be rubbing because my struts are starting to wear out, I plan to replace them when I do the rims.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
how many miles are on your car. I've heard that you should replace your stock struts after 50k miles.

·
Registered
466 Posts
214,000 km = alot of miles. It still rides OK but is starting to get a little bouncey. I just want to get through the winter then I'll replace them.

·
Registered
466 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KrautBurner:
dosn't VW give a lifetime Warranty on the stock suspension?
thought I heard that somewhere.

I might be crazy too.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they do I'm sure lowering springs would void that in a hurry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts