VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys and Gals,

I would like to obtain some feed back. I am currently purchasing a pop up tent trailer not to big its 10 feet and weights around 1500lbs.

I would like to know if any one has pulled something similar to this or bigger with a 2007 jetta 2.5? If so did it give you any trouble?

Did you run into any issues? what tow hitch did you use?

Please like alway any and all information, comments, and feedback is greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
82 Posts
if auto trans, you might want to consider a big(bigger) radiator to handle the extra heat generated by the load
If manual trans, with the right tow hitch ( I dont think you will find too many models), the pulling should be decent. VW should be able to recommend max rating for your model.
Look at web site in England or Main land for tow hitch rating, People over there pull trailers & camping caravan all the time with sedans.
In the old days, I remember my dad pulling full size caravans with Peugeot 403 & 404 , mountain roads, toll highway, .... and five people on board doing 120 Kmh.
Does the trailer has brakes?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I dont think it has brakes. cause my other option is getting a truck. can brakes be added to the trailer?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Etrailer.com shows this below:
With an auto trans i'll recommend a transmission cooling radiator to reduce burning the ATF. You can probably add brake to the trailer, see with the manufacturer if they have it as option.
2007 Volkswagen Jetta Trailer Hitch
Trailer Hitch x >

Curt Class I Round Tube Receiver Hitch - 2007 Volkswagen Jetta
Sedan
Most Popular 2007 Volkswagen Jetta Hitch
Installation Difficulty:

6 out of 10

91 reviews

Code: C11072

Retail: $254.86

Price: $142.51

Trailer Hitch Size:

1-1/4 Inch Hitch Opening

Towing Capacity:

200 Pound Tongue Weight

2000 Pound Towing

Trailer Wiring:

2007 Volkswagen Jetta Trailer Wiring

or use Alternate Wiring

Recommended Ball Mount:

2007 Volkswagen Jetta Ball Mount

Features:

Perfect for light-duty towing, this custom, vehicle trailer hitch receiver features fully welded, gloss powder coated steel construction. Drawbar sold separately.

Installation Notes:

No drilling required for installation

Exhaust must be temporarily lowered for installation

Tech Tip: Wiring system requires a powered module. It has a 2-wire system (brake light and turn signal are run on the same wire). Therefore the brake wire on the powered module should be grounded.

:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts