VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aloha!

Excuse me if im in the wrong area - but I need some advice!

Currently looking to pick up another car - cause mine doesnt have AC!! And in Hawaii - sometimes we really need AC lol.

Im considering a 2001 1.8t wolfsburg edition jetta. It has 150,000 miles and appears to be taken care of very well.

Here is the Craigslist AD - 2001 TURBO VW JETTA (WOLFSBURG EDITION)

The guy is willing to take $5000, but he would put the stock sound system back in. I havent checked it out yet - But I have talked with him through email. I guess I just wanted some advice on whether or not it would be worth it, anything specific to look for or ask the seller, and/or any other first hand experience with this car.

Anyway thanks for your help - and again if this is not in the right place, just let me know.

Thanks!

Update: The seller gave me some new information saying the body does not have any major damage, just a "couple of little dings". He also said "the interior is a little rough - I was going to reupholster" - but apparently he wants to buy a new subaru so he has no reason to do it. Im pretty curious to see what he means by "a little rough".

Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
The mileage shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as everything was taken care off. Mine has about 153k on it with the only main issues being it needs new hoses. But paying $5k is nuts. I only paid $3,500 for mine.

Aloha!

Excuse me if im in the wrong area - but I need some advice!

Currently looking to pick up another car - cause mine doesnt have AC!! And in Hawaii - sometimes we really need AC lol.

Im considering a 2001 1.8t wolfsburg edition jetta. It has 150,000 miles and appears to be taken care of very well.

Here is the Craigslist AD - 2001 TURBO VW JETTA (WOLFSBURG EDITION)

The guy is willing to take $5000, but he would put the stock sound system back in. I havent checked it out yet - But I have talked with him through email. I guess I just wanted some advice on whether or not it would be worth it, anything specific to look for or ask the seller, and/or any other first hand experience with this car.

Anyway thanks for your help - and again if this is not in the right place, just let me know.

Thanks!

Update: The seller gave me some new information saying the body does not have any major damage, just a "couple of little dings". He also said "the interior is a little rough - I was going to reupholster" - but apparently he wants to buy a new subaru so he has no reason to do it. Im pretty curious to see what he means by "a little rough".

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mileage shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as everything was taken care off. Mine has about 153k on it with the only main issues being it needs new hoses. But paying $5k is nuts. I only paid $3,500 for mine.
Any major maintenance that should have been done?

Yea $5000 is nuts - I totally hear you. But you know, this is the big island of Hawaii and everything goes for a thousand bucks more - just because they can get away with it lol. I don't agree with it at all, but I have to live with it.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Try negotiating with him though. Definitely not worth 5k especially if the interior is trashed. Which it sounds like it is.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would definitely inquire about the timing service. If it has not been done recently or if he has no idea when it was last done, then I would plan on having it done soon after you get it. If you are not up to the challenge of doing it yourself, then except to pay around $1k for the job. Not sure on prices in Hawaii.

Check this one out.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/4397219845.html

Not sure how it would be to get it to other islands as I am not familiar with Hawaii, but pretty much same exact car for 3000 less. Oh and 25k less miles.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
im still stuck on the fact of AC..
am i the only person in the united states that deleted and trash canned perfectly good ac components // system? :D

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
i turned it on.. when i purchased it.. felt it was cold.. never used it again.. and ripped it out and threw it away.. LMAO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never cared too much about AC until I recently moved 2 months ago. The area I lived before has a breeze, and is about 10 degrees cooler. Its crazy how 20 miles makes a huge difference over here. I pretty much sweat my ass off now lol.

But Getting a car from another island is not always worth it because they charge so friggin much for airfare here, plus other travel expenses, the shipping, the loss of income to take time off! But Ill totally consider it. I shipped a jetta from oahu to the big island in 2003-2004 and it was about $275 and took 2 weeks.

I might just pass on this car if the thing is trashed on the inside - and of course if I have to put another thousand plus in preventative maintenance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here are a few others Im considering - although I want a 5 speed.

2000 Jetta 4dr

VW 06' Rabbit MK5

And I was going to try a strike a deal on this turbo Beetle but he sold it already - VW Beetle 2002 Turbo, Manual, 68,000 miles

Another thing about having AC here, which I was just reminded of today while out running errands, is that it rains a lot here - plus its warm - so rolling up your windows + warm weather without AC sucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts