VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
im wondering a few things about upgrading my air intake. Where does the Mass air flow thing go. or the recirculating tube from the exhaust manifold over to the bottom of the intake box? or the vacuum hoses running into the side of the intake box.
can someone list for me an air intake system they have liked, and had no problems with?
the car is an 89 Golf.
thx all..
Jeremy

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
probably get more of a response in the mk2 section. A moderator of this section can move it for you. I know keith (89wolfsburg) can prob help you out. he has a 89 jetta. best/...

·
Registered
526 Posts
the smaller hose that goes to the bottom takes exhaust blow off into the intake when its cold out so that the engine warms up faster. the maf senses how much air is going into the engine and tells the computer to send the right amount of fuel.

·
Registered
131 Posts
what intake you looking at. from what i have, it all stays, and everything is around it. the intake that you get will have spots for everything to go.

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
the vr6 doesnt have the engine bypass it all goes to the tailpipes..on the digifant cars it has a tube that goes into the bottom of the intake box..if u get rid of the box u will have trouble with cold starts((possibly) and you need to put something on the end of that hose because the air that comes out has some substances from the engine(oil, unburned gas etc) its actyually better to have it disconnnected because it just does wonders to you valves. check out www.tmtuning.com and look under intakes and look for the crankcase elimination kit and read up on it and it will explain it well

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
to start off. vlkswgenspeed is right. The hose from the back of the mani is for cold start. Mine has been off for 3 years and so far no problems in winter. all the other tubes work only with the stock airbox. Meaning if you remove it they are no longer necccesary. the maf sensor is bolted to the top part of the airbx. if you remove it there's 4 bolts that hold it on. Look under it and remove them. The maf sensor will come off and the adapter for the open filter bolts to it. Then the filter goes on using a hose clamp. If you buy a generic kit you'll need to make a bracket like mine to hold it away fromt he alternator pulley. Her's a pic of what mine looks like. Not very good but the best i got. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
526 Posts
the best thing ive found thus far to hold up the intake woudl be good ol zipties. ac lines get it right in the corner where the cold air flows over the headlights

·
Registered
131 Posts
duct tape and zip ties are a mans best friend!
I even have a zip tie i use for my shoe string on my work shoes! talk about stylish!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
No imean to keep it from just laying in the bottom. Although zipties could work to hold it up if that's what you meant. Mine is held on with a hose clamp. But i have a bracket that bolts to the side of the maf sensor and then with a sheet metal screw in the body. Works good and when i finish my heatshield and paint everything it'll look really good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts