VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all
I want to make myself a new exhaust, I figured from cat back i would get some tubing, and have it mandrel bent to fit my golf (89, 8v) from what i can tell, the exhaust piping is 2' diameter. what width can i go to without losing the necessary back pressure? can i do 2.5 inches? or only 2.25? i also wanted to replace the central reservoir with just a straight pipe. and add a sportier muffler i found online with a 2.5 inch inlet. anyone have any idea what the ramifications of this will be?
thx in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
From what i know, 2.25 inch diameter for 8v's is the best way to go, 2.5 inch may be too big and there will be a greater loss of back pressure. For the muffler a 2.5 inch inlet is fine, just need to adapter peice from 2.25 to 2.5.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I'vew got 2.5 inch exhaust, with a gutted cat and a brospeed muffler. I saw a increase in throttle response. No problems with it and it sounds good. 2.25 or 2.5 will both work

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, i forgot to mention im adding a ractive air intake before the exhaust. im hoping/assuming this will create more air coming in. does this affect the exhaust diameter i need?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts