VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I do a TBA with my vag com I notice that the car feel very slow. The throttle seems light and torqueless. After like 60 miles it went back to normal and pulls like a rape bitch. Does the ecu needs time to relearn the fuel curve when I do a TBA?

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
My guess is the ECU is just adapting to the change. Your TBA might have been way off and it needed to make a big adjustment. Carson can provide you with more information.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
If you erase the fault memory before performing a TBA, then the ECU has to relearn everything, which would explain your lack of power until you hit 60 miles or so. The ECM adapts to your driving habits to better perform in the manner you wish it to. Erasing the fault memory wipes the ECM clean...it has to relearn everything. If you didn't erase the faults before setting throttle body alignment, I don't know what would really cause it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
[QB] The ECM adapts to your driving habits to better perform in the manner you wish it to. Erasing the fault memory wipes the ECM clean...it has to relearn everything.QUOTE]

Interesting. I thought that only an Automatic has this ECM adapts function. So you are saying if you drive your car like a grandma then it will be slow?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Yep. And the Auto Trannies learn your shift points....they have their own control module that also learns your driving habits. Believe me, if I test drive an old lady's car at work, its slower than most, even if its a 1.8T or VR6.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
Yep. And the Auto Trannies learn your shift points....they have their own control module that also learns your driving habits. Believe me, if I test drive an old lady's car at work, its slower than most, even if its a 1.8T or VR6.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow very interesting Carson. I did a little experiment with my car. For like 2 days I drive like a grandma and shift at like 3 grand. When I hit WOT the car seems very slow and sluggish. I went back to driving normal shift at 4 to 5 grand and WOT seems to pull very hard. So our car does adapt to our driving style. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
No problem man, anytime you have queestions (or any other member for that matter) I'll try my best to answer them, and if I don't know I'll find out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
clean MAF+relearn ECU

Hello there.I wish you can help me. I did a MAF clean and now my car is slow until I reach for the first time 2500-3000 rpm.After that is ok until the next start of the engine.What is the easy way to relearn the ECU without using the VAG tools+software.Thank you very much.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The ECU is adaptive so it reacts to various sensors like the MAF,MAP,AIT and pre Cat O2 sensor. It kinda creates a map of varying conditions such as engine load and fuel trim using the sensor information it receives so it can reach the best conditions for performance and emissions purposes. There is no way to make it relearn quicker unless you have some software package you can tweak the parameters with - you'd better really know what you're doing in that case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts