VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I bottomed my car very good. Now it's making some grinding noise in the front right passenger side of my car. When it burn left it does it the most. It and rinsing sound for sure it makes me Kringe. Is there anything on that side or location if I bottomed out could be damaged to make that kind of noise. It's not a constant noise though. If I turn left it does it the most .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also the car drives fine. There's no engine problems or delay . Nothing is leaking and it turns fine just makes a grinding sound or something is hitting something

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Check to see if the axle is hitting the swaybar. If the grinding or clicking noise happens when turning to Tue left then its the driver's side axle binding. No real solution besides buying motor mount spacers. If the axle is hitting the swaybar you have a few options. Remove the swaybar and replace it with an aftermarket one that goes under the axle. Completely just remove it and don't take bends hard. You will probably hit the frame then. Then you need to notch the frame.
Axle rubs on the passenger side.

My solution was to remove the swaybar and notch the frame.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Its from caused by the car being lowered. Lowering the car changes the suspension geometry.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay and there's no way it could be the cv joint? And how much should this cost to fix? And there's nothing over there that could of been damaged from bottoming the car

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just a word of advice, this is the third post you created for the same problem.

Please only create one post. It makes it much easier to reply and follow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry man I'll keep to this post. Just getting alittle freaked out what I should do and if I can even drive my car

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
I doubt its the cv joint. Crawl under, grab it and see if it has play. New swaybars are a couple hundred. Your cheapest option is to raise the car up.
No real damage can be done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if I raise the car up about half a inch the sound should go away? What gets me when I bought the car no sound and then when I bottomed the car it started to make the sound

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Doesn't hurt to try. Another to check is to make sure the bottom of the strut/coilover did not slide in the knuckle and hit the cv joint. I'm looking for a picture to show you what it looks like.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Buy a new bolt and nut. slide the strut back up and tighten it to spec. 44lbs + 1/4or 1/2 turn. Its kinda rare it happens but it does happen. Since you bought the car from someone that has put all the stuff on, I would be double checking all the work.
When you said you hit the grou d hard that's kinda why I'm thinking this happened. The force caused the strut to slide.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts