VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm Matt and I'm probably getting myself in over my head, but I enjoy working on cars (never done a turbo car.) and I'm looking to learn everything I can about this car. It is a blast to drive.
I don't actually own the car yet, but I'm probably going to buy it depending on how the checkup goes.
The car in question is a 2002 anniversary edition Mark IV GTI 337.
It has almost 200k miles on the block but almost everything else has been redone.

Engine:
5 angle grind and porting
APR stage 3 turbo (garrett gt28rs)
Pauter rods and pistons
Over-sized oil pump
South Bend Stage 3 clutch + lightweight flywheel
5 spd transmission swap with B&M short throw shifter.
Eurosport turbo back exhaust

Suspension:
LSD
Bilstein coilovers
H&R springs
17x245 Enkei rims

Things that need to be fixed are the valve cover gasket (small leak) and there is a crack on the block through one of the bolt mounts that is concerning. Please see the pictures below and any advice is appreciated.

Cracked block bolt
Close up

AEM regulator? Unsure what this does.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than $4-$5k for it. I personally wouldn't even buy it. I don't like buying other peoples projects.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm getting it for a lot less than that. I've had it checked over at a few places and I know a guy who can weld blocks.

What are your thoughts on that busted bolt? It's hard to get a good look at it. I'll probably take a mirror and a flashlight to it to see the extent of the crack.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Man, a dual tip exhaust on a 337 is a sin along with having a 5 speed swap. I wouldn't do it, who knows what else could have been done on the thing..... If you need a reference for anything let me know and I can send you pictures of my 337.

What the heck happened to the BBS RCs??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also I'm 100% sure that is not the OEM rear bumper. Beware of rear end damage

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
^good point.

The broken casting for the bolt provision is I think for the oem charge pipe bracket. Its not really a big deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks for the replies. After doing some research, I've determined this gti is most definitely not a 337. It's just a silver gti. I'm still going to pick it up because i believe it has potential, and the price is right. I will post progress from time to time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Right on! Glad to hear you got down to the bottom of it :K:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts