VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'ello mates! I'm thinking about modding my 337 and I've got a few questions..
1. Which is better: Forge 007, APR R1, or Forge Splitter? I want to give my car a nice boost sound =]
EDIT: I was reading up more and I also saw TurboSmart dual port.. Forge splitter vs TurboSmart dual port? Which gives more power/better performance?
2. What's the difference between diverter valve and blow off valve? Which gives more power?
3. Besides changing the diverter valve, what would be the next best thing to mod (at a decent price perhaps around $100-200)?
4. What's cold air intake do? O_O Should I mod this? (imma nub)
5. Where are the best places(best prices) I can do my online shopping for parts?

Thanks for any help and suggestions! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
'ello mates! I'm thinking about modding my 337 and I've got a few questions..
1. Which is better: Forge 007, APR R1, or Forge Splitter? I want to give my car a nice boost sound =]
EDIT: I was reading up more and I also saw TurboSmart dual port.. Forge splitter vs TurboSmart dual port? Which gives more power/better performance?
2. What's the difference between diverter valve and blow off valve? Which gives more power?
3. Besides changing the diverter valve, what would be the next best thing to mod (at a decent price perhaps around $100-200)?
4. What's cold air intake do? O_O Should I mod this? (imma nub)
5. Where are the best places(best prices) I can do my online shopping for parts?

Thanks for any help and suggestions! ;)
u dont really gain anything by replacing your dv other than increasing the flow rate at which your intake depressurises when under boost conditions. most companys that chip our cars require you to replace it or it voids the warranty because the stock dv isnt ment to handle 22+psi of boost only 11.7psi.

cold air intake on a turbo really doesnt do anything other than making your turbo louder.

as far as sites i reccomend OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

or black forest industries

also euro jet has a nice selection of upgrades.

other than that id say the first thing you should do is go get a chip from unitronics or apr. unitronic is a more agressive program where as an apr is more of a daily driver program.

and if u cant afford a chip get some sort of coilovers i know that black forest is having a sale on jom coilovers for under $400.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
revo is another good chip, but its aggressive like the unitronics, ive never driven with a unitronic or apr so i cant say theyre good or bad but apr is basically the go to company for chips cause theyre a little bit more conservative therefore not as stressful on the car. Revo is not the best for daily driving sometimes, its a bit jerky shifting out of first unless your rele easy on it and dnt let it boost. revo is currently having a sale now also

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A chip? oh nose.. I'm trying not to spend over $300 >_< Well, I think I'll go for the Forge Splitter. I've been looking at ECS Tuning and compared it with MJM Autohaus and it looks like MJM is a bit cheaper with free shipping..

OH so cold intake makes the turbo sound louder? hmm maybe I'll get that too.. I wasn't really looking to mod suspension, etc. Focusing on the engine for now =]

Thanks for the input guys! =]

EDIT: Wait I just read the stickied FAQ and it says getting a BOV could partially damage my fuel map system over time? Does this apply for the Forge Splitter (since it's a dual diverter/BOV)?

EDIT2: WAIT, I saw this http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_6_17_45_115_1828&info=Neuspeed_65.10.87.DV.B_Cold_Air_Intake_P-Flo_With_Black_Forge_DV&products_id=2836
Should I just get this to take care of both CAI and a new diverter valve? Is Forge 007 maintenance free too or do I have to clean it? Also, if I get this, should I also get a K&N Filter? =]

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
the splitter doesnt apply to the bov issue on these. revo is 400 regular price and theyre having a sale now. if you can splurg for some kind of chip theyre a huge improvement and your before and after "butt dyno" will feel like your driving a rocketship

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts
You do have to clean and relube dv's that are serviceable. I clean my forge 007 every oil change.
The only way you are going to gain power is by chip/flash. You have to pay to play.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The only way you are going to gain power is by chip/flash. You have to pay to play.
True story.

All you can do for $100-200 is do an intake. And an intake alone isn't going to give you much of a noticeable gain.

Intake, chip, exhaust. Now we're talking business.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay hmm.. lets say I'm more concerned about a kooler sound from the turbo.. (I KNOW it's lame and noobish I'm sorry >_< please don't flame me) what modifications would I focus on for that?

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Just wondering? What's the point of a car sounding loud if it's slow? It's kind of like a fart can on a stock civic....
ty for sig quote :K: couldnt stop laughin when i saw this.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
nothing is wrong with ur 337 all u gotta do is take off ur front bumper side skirts and rear bumper and ship em to me :K:

but seriously if u want sumthing thats goin to make ur car better for under or up to 300 bucks heres a few options

heres something alittle over ur budget but reallllly worth the money and u will like it in the long run

$479
JOM Coilover Suspension Kit - VW Mk4

$129
Autotech Sport Tuning: AST COLD AIR INTAKE, 1.8T 2000-05

$109 - hp gain
Volkswagen Golf IV 1.8T > Engine > Pulleys > ES#4112 Lightweight Crank Pulley - Over 75% Lighter Than Stock - ECS#1067BLK

$142 -quicker turbo spool up
Volkswagen Golf IV 1.8T > Search > Valve > ES#8918 Waste Gate Frequency Control Valve "J" Revision - 034906283J

theres alot u can buy for under 300 but if u want to make a real noticable gain save ur money and buy a chip.

i bought apr and never looked back just kept splurging money into her and never stopped lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nothing is wrong with ur 337 all u gotta do is take off ur front bumper side skirts and rear bumper and ship em to me :K:

but seriously if u want sumthing thats goin to make ur car better for under or up to 300 bucks heres a few options

heres something alittle over ur budget but reallllly worth the money and u will like it in the long run

$479
JOM Coilover Suspension Kit - VW Mk4

$129
Autotech Sport Tuning: AST COLD AIR INTAKE, 1.8T 2000-05

$109 - hp gain
Volkswagen Golf IV 1.8T > Engine > Pulleys > ES#4112 Lightweight Crank Pulley - Over 75% Lighter Than Stock - ECS#1067BLK

$142 -quicker turbo spool up
Volkswagen Golf IV 1.8T > Search > Valve > ES#8918 Waste Gate Frequency Control Valve "J" Revision - 034906283J

theres alot u can buy for under 300 but if u want to make a real noticable gain save ur money and buy a chip.

i bought apr and never looked back just kept splurging money into her and never stopped lol.
OOoO! Thank you! This is very good! =]

OH and another question, does anyone have any experience with either Turbosmart Dual Kompact or Forge Splitter?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts