VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 Rabbit 'vert with a 1.7 ltr.

A recent problem has popped up a that is really confusing. After running the car for a while and shutting it off (5 miles is the least time in which it has happened) it will not start again until the engine cools off. Sometimes not even then.

I put the car in the shop last week because it would not start. I had it towed from my driveway to the shop and they replaced the distributor and coil and it started and ran fine. Next day I drive to work and when I go out 9 hours later to go home it will not start (cranks fine/turns over but it will not fire up). I have the car towed to the same shop and the dang thing cranks right up and I have to eat a $95 tow fee. Two days later my wife drives it to the gym and it strands her there. Car is towed to the same garage...This time is doesn't crank for them until two hours later. They still have the car and are testing it (Power to the fuel pump, etc) but have not come up with anything as it starts every time now - even after road testing it. Anyone have a clue why this would be happening? TIA for any help.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Fuel accumulator might have gotten bad. It was installed to keep the system pressure up and prevent vapor lock.

99% of the time if it goes bad it just leaks fuel everywhere under the car. Sometimes it goes bad and wont let the car start hot.

Kinda hard to test. Get a Bently manual. I'm to lazy to grab one of my manuals, but you should let the car sit for a day or so, and crack one of the fuel lines loose (put a rag there... if there's pressure it will spray fuel). CIS should hold system pressure for a VERY long time. If fuel doesn't spray out and get all over you, there's something wrong, either with the accumulator or there's a leak somewhere else.

Remember, without actually having the car here next to me... this is just a guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they put the fuel accumulator on the fuel injected 1.7 engine? (I know in a previous post of mine you questioned the 1.7 liter engine, but that is what the underhood sticker says and it also states that in the Bentley manual)

Also, what kind of tool do you use to change the spark plugs on this thing? The plugs are recessed down inside the valve cover and a regular plug socket will not fit down inside. Will a standard thin wall deep socket fit or is there a sppecial tool needed?

Thanks for all your help and knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Did you have the fuel pump pressure tested at the fuel distributer under the hood?Also check the transfer pump under the rear seat for debris in the screen.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Sounds like you indeed do have a 16v... which would probably be a 1.8L 16v. That car has had a motor swap at one time or another. Score one for you!!

So... yes, after ~1979 all fuel injected watercooled VWs had the accumulator. It's located near the fuel pump. Although now that we know it's had a motor swap, I'm not sure what so say about hard starting. Could be related to wiring issues from the swap. I'd still crack a fuel line lose after a couple hours and see if it's holding pressure.

The spark plug socket you want is 5/8" spark plug socket.

And the '82 Rabbit 'Vert didn't have a transfer pump under the seat.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i'm having somewhat the same problem... bust. my car's not starting. it started for a quick second then it stopped then all it was doign was turning over. took it to the shop, drove fine when i got it back saturday and sunday it dies on me

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I did...two cylinders with less than 50 lbs. compression...not sure if I am able to rebuild or if i need to buy another motor. sucks bad!

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
-50lbs? WOW! Maybe bent valves... or maybe broken rings. You been running it on regular or premium?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 84RaBBitChiCk:
i'm having somewhat the same problem... bust. my car's not starting. it started for a quick second then it stopped then all it was doign was turning over. took it to the shop, drove fine when i got it back saturday and sunday it dies on me<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Next time it dies check to see if you can hear the fuel pump run. It should run for about 3 seconds after you crank the motor. If not, it's probably a bad fuel pump relay, or relay connection.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is what i would do, I would check fro any electrical componants going by a heat source like your exaust mainfold or down-pipe. It could be that the heat is changeing the resistance of a wire and couseing the signal not to pass. That what was happening to my Cabriolete.. Just a thought.

Its mind boggling until you think about it. Car gets hot, wont start, cools down starts up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
When my car wouldn't start, i took it to the shop 3 times. The 3 different answeres were:

1:
~>left wire to battery was lose
~>Plug to starter was disconnected

2:
~>I can't remember

3: (this was the main problem)
~>Relay to my ignition was low, so he switched my hazard light relay w/ my ignition relay.
~>Fuel Pump Fuse was toasted, so he replaced that
~>Spark plug wire #5 was broken

1 - 12 of 12 Posts