VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it would be possible to custom fit a radar dectector into the cup holder (above the radio, and tray)? from the looks of it, it could. But I wanted to check to see if anyone has done this before, and what a good way to do it would be. I would get it done at a shop (probably creative cartunes)
I dont want it to show, if possible, have the lights show from the flip cover of the cup holder. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
I sit mine in that hole sometimes. Here's the problem, most detectors are designed to be on the top of your dash so the radar can project onto the road. Having it sit lower will give you a not so acurate reading. And depending on the signals it could even weaken.

Just my too bits!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah, it's possible. I don't have first hand experience(My Jetta doesn't have cupholders
), but obviously it's just a matter of getting the wires into the cupholder space and fitting the detector.

edit: heh heh, three posts at pretty much the same time...who ever said VWF was dead

[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by: dirtjumpwill ]

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
It also depends on what type of radar you get. If you get the common stick it on top of your dash one's then like db said, it wouldn't work as well. But if you get one of those custom ones that are suppose to be hidden, where there are sensors in the front and rear of your car, then it could work fine. The custom radars are just a bit pricey.
jon

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on this. I saw that I can take out my cupholder completely, so I would think that a radar detector would fit in that space. another thing would be to hook up the wire to a power source. (but where ever I would get it done would take care of that). and db, the cupholder is right above the tray(hole), so I dont think the readings would change if it were in the cupholder space(rather than the hole/tray). Im going to call creative car tunes and ask what they can do. Ill let you know what I find out. thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked with a guy at creative car tunes last week. He said the stick on dash radar detectors would not have accurate readings being inclosed in your dash/storage hole(above stereo). He said I could go with a K40 system-which have 2 led lights that you can mount anywhere on your dash, but its expensive (400+), so Im going to get a stick-on detector. Thanks for you input guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts